Playtime Tonight!

C

c2kenpo

Hope you all have fun today. Tonight I'll have the honor of studying with Mr. Sean Kelly (great with kids) and Mr. 'Huk' Planas.
I'm really excited to get some notes on Mr. Kelly's teaching style to help motivate the kids and get them excited more in class.
What better way to become a better instructor if you dont learn from other instructors.
And of course getting as many notes from Mr. Planas as possible.
You don't get many opportunities to work with a 9th Degree BB for 2 hrs.
I'll share details when I get my notes in order.

:boing2:

Originally posted by c2kenpo

Hope you all have fun today. Tonight I'll have the honor of studying with Mr. Sean Kelly (great with kids) and Mr. 'Huk' Planas.
I'm really excited to get some notes on Mr. Kelly's teaching style to help motivate the kids and get them excited more in class.
What better way to become a better instructor if you dont learn from other instructors.
And of course getting as many notes from Mr. Planas as possible.
You don't get many opportunities to work with a 9th Degree BB for 2 hrs.
I'll share details when I get my notes in order.

:boing2:

Dude,

Where's the review of what you did?

jb:asian:

Sorry for the delay since Monday I have been super busy with work at the school and family after that.
I missed the Sean Kelly seminar for the kids, I was busy with introductory lessons and new students. Not really upset that I missed it Sean has been a great guy and always willing to help out.

Mr. Planas I did not miss. We started with discussing the principles of critical distance but focus mainly on the second person point of view. Mr. Planas was showing the disadvantages of having a bad "body" and what happens with a good "body". Summing it up you can know the basics of a technique but to truly understand the "WHY" of a techniques you have to be able to body for it. For an example If you take Mace of Agression and the attacker still is holding on after the hammerfist to the nose well..then you dont have a great body. You get the "stone statue" effect per Mr. Parker.
So the premise to teach for the night was BODY.
Due to the large class we had 35 adults I think we moved a bit slower then ainticipated. But..

We started with Thrusting Salute and the first idea for this tech was TIMING. Thinking of beats of rythmn when doing the techniqes. Thrusting Salute of course is a right thrust kick w/wo a right roundhouse punch. But Looking at the tech who cares about the roundhouse punch if you TIME the kick right. By the book we see the block - kick- settle-heelpalm. Mr. Planas discussed and showed getting away from the 1-2-3-4 timing and go to 12-3 timing so the main lesson for this was getting students to time the snap kick to the groin BEFORE you opponent would settle a base. Great idea just messy with 35 Kenpoists all trying to kick the stuffing out of thier partners and crashing into each other.
Finaly then we would build onto the idea of timeing the heelpalm with settling all at once. Once more lots of falling bodies into each other.

There was more I"ll ahve to finish later time is short......stay tuned I'll have more tonight.

Dave Gunzburg

Originally posted by c2kenpo

Sorry for the delay since Monday I have been super busy with work at the school and family after that.
I missed the Sean Kelly seminar for the kids, I was busy with introductory lessons and new students. Not really upset that I missed it Sean has been a great guy and always willing to help out.

Mr. Planas I did not miss. We started with discussing the principles of critical distance but focus mainly on the second person point of view. Mr. Planas was showing the disadvantages of having a bad "body" and what happens with a good "body". Summing it up you can know the basics of a technique but to truly understand the "WHY" of a techniques you have to be able to body for it. For an example If you take Mace of Agression and the attacker still is holding on after the hammerfist to the nose well..then you dont have a great body. You get the "stone statue" effect per Mr. Parker.
So the premise to teach for the night was BODY.
Due to the large class we had 35 adults I think we moved a bit slower then ainticipated. But..

We started with Thrusting Salute and the first idea for this tech was TIMING. Thinking of beats of rythmn when doing the techniqes. Thrusting Salute of course is a right thrust kick w/wo a right roundhouse punch. But Looking at the tech who cares about the roundhouse punch if you TIME the kick right. By the book we see the block - kick- settle-heelpalm. Mr. Planas discussed and showed getting away from the 1-2-3-4 timing and go to 12-3 timing so the main lesson for this was getting students to time the snap kick to the groin BEFORE you opponent would settle a base. Great idea just messy with 35 Kenpoists all trying to kick the stuffing out of thier partners and crashing into each other.
Finaly then we would build onto the idea of timeing the heelpalm with settling all at once. Once more lots of falling bodies into each other.

There was more I"ll ahve to finish later time is short......stay tuned I'll have more tonight.

Dave Gunzburg

When you get to the advanced version of Thrusting Salute it's not even 12-3 but rather 12.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Back