Physicians

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many of these jobs have particular traits in common. A sense of public trust, responsibility and directly dealing with people and the public at large. Although number 10 of civil servants is kind of vague, which professions are they speaking about?

Yeah. Sociopaths are basically the same as bureaucrats

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not all psychopaths are serial killers, but I did find this:
The 10 jobs that attract the most psychopaths

Psychopath_1.jpg
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3...age/2015/10/13/16/Psychopath_1.jpg?width=1368

Damn true. I will agree with you.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm really shooting the breeze on this one, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I was watching Terminator 2 the other day, and one particular scene stood out to me: the Terminator was taking care of Sarah Connor's wounds - probably doing exactly what a physician would be doing, given the same materials and resources - and she asks him how he knew how to do all that.

He then responds to her by saying that he has detailed files on human anatomy.

Sarah then asks if it was designed to make him a more effective killer, to which the Terminator confirms.

That being said... if a young healthy physician in good shape with zero martial arts training was so inclined... could he or she use their extensive knowledge of the human anatomy to be as equally effective as a trained martial artist?

Interesting thread

Personally, I don't think so. Knowing weaknesses and being able to exploit them are two different things. Most people know the basic weaknesses like the groin/eyes, but probably don't know how to set up a strike or close the distance. However, my knowledge of anatomy/physiology and kinesiology has helped me immensely in addition to my martial arts training. It helps me deconstruct a technique and understand how it works.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right, in this scenario, the physicians you're sparring with are are using techniques with in the specific martial art.

So I'm not trying to suggest that a physician can throw a punch any better than someone else.

However, given that different parts of the body are more sensitive and fragile than others - and physicians are far more likely to know which is which - could they potentially exploit that?

Let's say, for example, the physician in question is not a legit tough guy; but he's no pushover either. He's been in a few fights growing up, and he's won someone lost some.

He then goes on to become a physician.

Is he potentially more dangerous than he was before he went to med school?

Keyword is "potentially."
That depends on what kind of physician we're talking about. An eye doctor probably would not know about what parts of the body are more fragile than others, except for the eyes, but it doesn't take an eye doctor to know that the eyes are very fragile.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
That being said... if a young healthy physician in good shape with zero martial arts training was so inclined... could he or she use their extensive knowledge of the human anatomy to be as equally effective as a trained martial artist?
No. Fighting experience is very different Being able to handle the overwhelming mixture of adrenaline and cortisol takes years of experience for most. Moreover, just because you know where the weak spots of the body are, it doesn't mean you know or can apply techniques to exploit them.