Photo Editing Software Free?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Frustrated with all those different "free-ware" versions of photo editing software for several reasons. 1. They're limited to 30 or 60 days. 2. They don't quite have the abilities that I really need/want. 3. Some just add on their own toolbars and whatever ...

I was in love with ACDSee versions and used up to version 9 I think. It was a simple interface (for me anyway) and did what I needed it to do. Mainly lighten the gamma on a lot of my caving photos.
I've Gimp and heard rave after rave over it... tried it and it's brightness/contrasts doesn't do as well as I'd need it to.

Is there any others out there that I can use temporarily until I get that tax thingy and go ahead and buy the full version.

I do plan on getting Adobe Photo shop and the whole works for school... that's later and that's for when I get a bigger hard-drive which I'm gonna definitely need for space to do the work(s).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GIMP. It's free, pretty powerful and just as hair pulling as Adobe Photoshop.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Second the GIMP. I've tried a number of the AJAX-based online photoshopalikes. None of them is ready for prime time.

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haha...I'll fifth the GIMP

If your familiar with Photoshop and want it's abilities in a free program.

If your looking for something simple to brighten/darken and the like, use Picasa from Google or do a search for Xnview. I have both and use them at various times.