Perserverance & Indomitable Spirit

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These 2 tenents of Taekwondo are so closly related. I've been having trouble coming up with separate definitions for my students (all kids between ages 7-14). What are good definitions you've heard & use?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These 2 tenents of Taekwondo are so closly related. I've been having trouble coming up with separate definitions for my students (all kids between ages 7-14). What are good definitions you've heard & use?

Hi Iceman---the way I think of perseverance, the core of the idea is that you will master something which now seems difficult or impossible for you to do if you continue to work on it---that repetition and focus are the keys to mastering any worthwhile skill. If something is doable at all, then by coming back to it over and over, you will get it, even though you don't necessarily see any progress from workout to workout. Even if you seem to be plateauing, or you feel as though you have made no progress at all, accepting perseverance as one of the of the tenets of your training means that you define in advance every problem as one that can be solved by training to overcome it, and believing that you're making progress even if you don't see it on a day to basis.

Indomitable spirit is more something like this: nothing can break you, nothing can destroy you. It's a belief that you can endure the worst life has to offer and still not throw in the towel. It's not so much about how to get from here to there, understanding that you're on to the road to success even if you can't see the signs of it, as a belief that there is something indestructable at the core of every human being---it's something about the depth of the human will to survive and heal, even in the face of tragedy. And I think it's much harder for us to fully embrace that concept than the idea of perseverance, because when genuinely terrible things happen to us we often feel that we really can't survive.

I'm not sure how I would go about framing this distinction to children and young people of the ages you indicate, but I do think those are the crucial point... well, that's my take on the crucial points, is probably a better way to put it.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
To your students, you should embody what TKD strives for in it's tenents. Leading by example is more influential than defining by words - though most people would like to have a definition also.

R. McLain

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To your students, you should embody what TKD strives for in it's tenents. Leading by example is more influential than defining by words - though most people would like to have a definition also.

R. McLain

I agree that my actions will speak louder to them than any words. Sadly, my instructor when I was 14 (when I started) only had us memorize the 5 tenents & gave us no direction on what they meant or how to apply them. I want to be able to give them concrete ideas of what they mean.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are the definitions I use with kids:

Perseverance: going on when you want to quit (because you're tired, hungry, not in the mood, etc.)

Indomitable Spirt: going on when you think it's not going to work, because it's the right thing to do.

Then we go over examples of both. The story of the Jews holding off the Romans at Masada is one that usually makes sense for Indomitable Spirit - how some of the Jews remained behind in the fort of Masada to slow the Romans down long enough for the rest to get away, and kept fighting as hard and as long as they could, knowing they would likely die no matter what - because it was the right thing to do to save all the rest. Examples for perseverance are pretty easy to come up with in class. After that, I have the students come up with their own examples.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perserverance is the willingness to never give up. It is slow and steady wins the race.

Indominateable spirit is the will to keep chugging in an against all odds scenerio.

This is just my personal take on the situational words. Great leaders of all eras in time and situation have been linked to these two words in description.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like both of yours ways of describing it. Thank you.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good defintions!

Another way of putting it, is

perserverance = keep trying

indomitable spirit = a spirit that will not be crushed

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why, it's just gumption and grit. Sticktoitiveness and the embiggenment of the soul.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Great replies!! :)

Perserverance & Indomitable Spirit:

The ability to love and enjoy your art with, or without, video evidence. :D

That which overcomes fear, insecurity, and inferiority complexes.

Side effects of maturity.

The ability to let go of that which is unnatural so that you can keep going in life, no matter what.

The part of us that is immeasurably larger, stronger, and tougher than we might belive we ever could be.

That which is sometimes born from those who need and rely on us.

It seems to come from the heart.

Latest Discussions