Perception Of A Street Fight

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fighting in unsactiond, unorganized situations is a bad idea. You do it because you have to. Only an idiot goes looking for such a fight. And if you have the opportunity to train in something tried, tested, and proved. That is always better then something that hasn't been. I don't even like glamourizing the new startup martial arts that, in my opinion, still have much to prove.

Yeah I agree with this.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say, I am a street fighter. This is what comes to mind. "I am a guy who looks for fights out on the streets, when I find them we fight with no rules."

That indeed is the problem. Telling people (and police officers) you are a street fighter incites trouble, keeping quiet and then telling people who need to know that you've had to defend yourself in fights is something different.

I think you took what I said as a personal attack, anyway, no worries.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't call that a fight either, but I was walking home from work and I guess they were bored. They were at no point a real threat. And I used to be that guy. I went out looking for opportunities to fight. That ended when I finally got some real training. It was the first lesson. Perhaps the most important lesson I have ever resieved. It is that lesson that I account as saving my life countless times more then any other technique.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and your statement on the other thread where you said that as a 4 year old you took on and beat two 12 year olds even disabling one?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I think you took what I said as a personal attack, anyway, no worries."

No I didn't think it was personal. No worries here.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fine. When I was 4 I was put into public school kindegarden. It was little country school where all the children K-8 were all in the same building. The school's bullies were two brothers, and their three friends. They liked to wait between the gym and the school and steal the other kid's lunch money. Having nothing for them to steal, I used to make them fight me, when ever I cought them, so the victim could get away. Course, with the significant difference between us, I inevetable allways lost. When I got tired of losing I found a tree and determined to teach myself to fight. I spent a weekend getting my butt kicked by an oaktree and learned two exercises, which I practiced. Anyway, long story shorter, the next week at school they decided I had offended them and cornered me in the playground. I was back to a brick wall and one of them stepped forward and punched. Instictivly, I moved my hand in a counterclockwise roll under his punch and dodged left. I had his fist against my neck and my hand against his elbow. I stepped in twisted and applied pressure. Not wanting to hurt his arm he spun with me. Right into the brick wall. Since that didn't take the fight out of him, I grabbed him by the hair and put him face first into that same wall again. That put him down, and I turned my attention to the other one. He had been punching me, and now seeing that I couldn't beat him in a straight fight I ran. He chased, and I couldn't get away so I ran up the seesaw and jumped down on the other end. He cought the other end as it was going up. The whole playground cheered and I was promptly expelled. Being 4 I didn't understand what I had done. I didn't realize what I had done to him until 8 years later. I was at a friend's house watching bevis and butthead. And he was the boyfriend of my friend's friend's older sister. His face was pretty badly difigured. I had tore him up worse then I had ever imagined. We were able to talk that day and get some resolution. Can't say we became friends. But we were able to oppologize for what we had done. Its one thing to know what could happen, its another to see the results. Its better to learn from the mistakes of others than to have to live with consquences of our own. It was a bad situation and I wouldn't do the same thing today if I had the choice.

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No street fighting? Where do you think martial arts came from in the first place? Alians?
The clue is in the name. Martial (meaning warlike) arts, refers to the arts of war, or the arts of Mars (the Roman God of War).

Martial Arts come form the battlefield, not the street, or indeed from Alians.

Latest Discussions