Perception Of A Street Fight

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a fair amount of threads talking about street fights, with myriad solutions. My street fighting perception comes from being bullied and so on.

As an adult, I quickly learnt that the term "Street Fight" pretty much alludes to nothing. It is applied to the darker side of humanity, thus a street fight generally means criminals, brawlers and if you will, some super charged hit man.

Being a ex Door Supervisor, the street fight is just rediculas as a notion. There really isn't any actual fights taking place, no real skill on display. Even some of the heroes thinking about the glory of taking down a door super, never going to happen.

In a code black, it is balls to the walls. Again though that is no street fight. Through the profession, this talk was picked up. My opinion is that there is such thing as a street fight. Simply because it is not actual fighting, when so many think that a casual meeting with slappsies in mind, is not a street fight.

No. Why, because coupled with all the other club land scenarios, a street fight would be organised. The term would be irrelevant in the sense that would be meeting an organised event. My opinion is that that the term "Street Fight" means nothing in the context of fighting. Rant over.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a thread about something like this a couple days ago. I agree to an extent. That I don't understand why Street fights are so valued when the majority of the time you will be fighting with some dumbass who is terrible at fighting.

Street fights do exist though, so i don't really follow where you are coming from, a street fight is pretty much any fight outside of a sporting event, and is completely void of rules.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a thread about something like this a couple days ago. I agree to an extent. That I don't understand why Street fights are so valued when the majority of the time you will be fighting with some dumbass who is terrible at fighting.

Street fights do exist though, so i don't really follow where you are coming from, a street fight is pretty much any fight outside of a sporting event, and is completely void of rules.

No I have to disagree. No street fight as you put it would be devoid of rules. If you even term that. Outside of a sporting event? Sorry but that is a narrow frame of reference. You don't understand is no problem. A doorman (Or my hated term( "Bouncer" takes one to know one) deals with live action.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Street fights do happen if there are at least 2 people trying to hurt each other it's a fight. If it's not in the ring or in a gym it's in the street so it's a street fight. Your point about there being no actual skill. That makes no difference everyone knows how to throw a basic punch and if a random thug catches a expert martial artist with 20 years training with that punch he can be hurt and knocked out fighting isn't skilful it is a brawl to where they try to hurt each other

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A street fight can mean anything from two guys throwing haymakers to a brick thrown at someone's head to someone trying to stab someone, it is often unfair, weapons may be involved, and more then one opponent. How skilled the other guy is you don't know and you don't know if the guy wants to use lethal force intentionally or unintentionally. As martial artist in my opinion, we must assume the other guy is carrying a weapon, has experience in fighting, has friends and is prepared to use lethal force on us, because it is not a sporting event with rules.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As martial artist in my opinion, we must assume the other guy is carrying a weapon, has experience in fighting, has friends and is prepared to use lethal force on us, because it is not a sporting event with rules.
Yep. This demonstrates the value of trying to avoid a fight or escape from one as soon as possible.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never been to a club. I generally avoid places where stupid people gather to do stupid ****. And dude, while the vast majority of people, MA or amature, can't fight. Those that dedicate themselves do get faily good at it. No street fighting? Where do you think martial arts came from in the first place? Alians? What is it, the best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
First, I am going to apologize for my first post. Sorry, not mad at you personally. Just a little annoyed that people look at the lowest of the streetfighting art (if I can use that word) and conclude that that is all there is. In any fighting style, you have your wannabes, your recreationals, those that try, those that overcome and those that master. Streetfighting is no different. But it is rather bottom heavy to be sure.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been to a club. I generally avoid places where stupid people gather to do stupid ****. And dude, while the vast majority of people, MA or amature, can't fight. Those that dedicate themselves do get faily good at it. No street fighting? Where do you think martial arts came from in the first place? Alians? What is it, the best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Well no, not really. It depends on what styles you are talking about.

In most cases, however you look at it so called street fighting is actually brawling. If you are talking about unlicensed fights and bare knuckle fights both of which are legal here, then that is a different thing, they aren't 'street fighting'.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lets just lay out some common dictionary. Because we are arguing semantics. We are using different deffinitions and we are all probably right within the scope of our understanding of the terms discussed. My definitions are as follows. A Fight is an excange of blows. If you can hit or grapple you can fight. Doesn't say anything about level of skill. And, yes, you can get hurt fighting. Streetfighting has several different definitions. One is unorganized, or unsanctioned fighting. As between two people on the street. It is also a generic term used for someone who has not been trained in a named style of fighting. Usually someone who is self taught. Because it is not standardized, streetfighting tends to focus more on fighting then technique. Though individual practitioners will have a set of techniques that they practice. And pretty much any way you look at it, before there were standardized systems of fighting there was just fighting. Martial arts did not appear until someone standardized a system of fighting. I don't care what style you are talking about they all had their roots in streetfighting. Even if they were several generations removed. For the record, I do not elieve that either of those two definitions should be glamourized. Fighting in unsactiond, unorganized situations is a bad idea. You do it because you have to. Only an idiot goes looking for such a fight. And if you have the opportunity to train in something tried, tested, and proved. That is always better then something that hasn't been. I don't even like glamourizing the new startup martial arts that, in my opinion, still have much to prove.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets just lay out some common dictionary. Because we are arguing semantics. We are using different deffinitions and we are all probably right within the scope of our understanding of the terms discussed. My definitions are as follows. A Fight is an excange of blows. If you can hit or grapple you can fight. Doesn't say anything about level of skill. And, yes, you can get hurt fighting. Streetfighting has several different definitions. One is unorganized, or unsanctioned fighting. As between two people on the street. It is also a generic term used for someone who has not been trained in a named style of fighting. Usually someone who is self taught. Because it is not standardized, streetfighting tends to focus more on fighting then technique. Though individual practitioners will have a set of techniques that they practice. And pretty much any way you look at it, before there were standardized systems of fighting there was just fighting. Martial arts did not appear until someone standardized a system of fighting. I don't care what style you are talking about they all had their roots in streetfighting. Even if they were several generations removed. For the record, I do not elieve that either of those two definitions should be glamourized. Fighting in unsactiond, unorganized situations is a bad idea. You do it because you have to. Only an idiot goes looking for such a fight. And if you have the opportunity to train in something tried, tested, and proved. That is always better then something that hasn't been. I don't even like glamourizing the new startup martial arts that, in my opinion, still have much to prove.

To be honest I think that made sense in your head when you were writing it. Fighting is fighting, 'street' is added to make it look modern and fashionable, it's an advertising ploy designed to sell some self defence places, saying it works on the 'street' makes it sound more efficient. Also saying you are a street fighter is much the same, it's macho posturing trying to say you are the hard man, however hard men, and I know a few, never say they are street fighters or even fighters.
I can't imagine why you said you can get hurt fighting, we would ever have thought that eh?
Fighting is still just fighting though. Martial ( and that's the word that gives it away) arts have their roots in fighting. the word 'street' is surplus to requirements and only added for that bit of added macho-ness.
In the UK you can fight in bare knuckle and non licensed fights( by the Boxing Board of Control) legally, they are good shows, well organised and run with proper medical facilities. It's not 'street' fighting, it's just fighting. MMA in this country is unregulated, there is no governing body. You can fight in the traveller/gypsy fights if you are connected to them, they even have rules. Nobody has to fight in any of these, they do because they want to and it's actually very sportsmanlike so not 'street' fighting.
I've no idea what you mean by new start up martial arts, I don't actually know of any new ones.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to chalk this up to comming from two different countries and speaking two different languages. You are the absolute authority on all things streetfighting and I humbly resubmit that I am merely a fighter who uses no particualar style other than my own. Having only fought in unsactioned, unorganized fights, sometimes for my life. Having never been in a real streetfight I know nothing of the subject of streetfighting. And would like to officially state that you are absolutly right. I am a man with low self asteem who needs to prop himself up, by saying that I am an unskilled idiot. Which as confusing as that sounds, somehow makes me feel more manely. I am now going to run with scissors down the center of the road.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but I am not trying to sound macho. I could care less what you want to call your generic term. Fighting is fighting. Styles and technique are all secondary. If you don't know where and when to use whatever you have, you aren't going to win much, and you especially aren't going to win against people who know those things better then you. You practice the where and the when, and your practice the techniques that you use, so they are reliable when you need to use them. And anytime someone tries to sell "what works on the streets" as some sort of athourity on fighting. They are generally con-artists looking for marks who are afraid of such confrontations. The last time I got jumped, you know what worked? I let them hit me until they got bored and went away. True story. I don't recomend going out and doing that. If you don't know what you are doing, even as a human punching bag, you are going to get hurt. If you are worried about fighting, go out get training in something that is proven. Not something sold with streetfighting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to chalk this up to comming from two different countries and speaking two different languages. You are the absolute authority on all things streetfighting and I humbly resubmit that I am merely a fighter who uses no particualar style other than my own. Having only fought in unsactioned, unorganized fights, sometimes for my life. Having never been in a real streetfight I know nothing of the subject of streetfighting. And would like to officially state that you are absolutly right. I am a man with low self asteem who needs to prop himself up, by saying that I am an unskilled idiot. Which as confusing as that sounds, somehow makes me feel more manely. I am now going to run with scissors down the center of the road.

Bollocks. You clearly didn't understand what I'm talking about....which is the superfluous use of the word 'street'. It's fighting, just fighting, you don't need to add 'street' in front of it. If you've been in 'fights for your life' well, more fool you but it's still just fighting.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a fool for walking home from the library? Not even in a bad neighborhood? You are prejudiced, plain and simple. Reread the above. Am a glamourizing or in anyway selling streetfighting as a good thing? Or recomemnding it as a viable alternative to getting proper training and staying out of dangerous situations. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you if you aren't even going to read what I have to say.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fighting is fighting.

Yes that's what I said.

And anytime someone tries to sell "what works on the streets" as some sort of athourity on fighting. They are generally con-artists looking for marks who are afraid of such confrontations.

Yes I said that too.

If you are worried about fighting, go out get training in something that is proven. Not something sold with streetfighting.

Well yes that was my point.

I'm a fool for walking home from the library? Not even in a bad neighborhood? You are prejudiced, plain and simple. Reread the above. Am a glamourizing or in anyway selling streetfighting as a good thing? Or recomemnding it as a viable alternative to getting proper training and staying out of dangerous situations. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you if you aren't even going to read what I have to say.

I think you are arguing with yourself.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, we both believe the same things. We just don't use a common language. We were arguing semantics. I wasn't trying to argue with you, I was trying to make you understand that I largely agree with you. We were working through the language barrier. And I am hoping we can reach a new level of mutual understanding. I blew up, I oppologize. I shouldn't have said some of those things. Just frustrating, when you can't communicate, and you are trying hard to.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you say, I am a street fighter. This is what comes to mind. "I am a guy who looks for fights out on the streets, when I find them we fight with no rules."

Honestly if you are getting into many street fights the problem is you and not the other people. I myself have only been in 3, because of this small number I will never call myself a street fighter. If you are saying you are a street fighter because you are self taught and you do what you find has been working for you then that makes you a self taught fighter. I wouldnt call that a street fighter.

Oh, and you said someone hit you until they were bored in a street fight? I'm sorry but to me that doesn't even sound like a fight. That sounds like either drunk people horseplaying around or just sheer stupidity.

I am not trying to be condescending here but to be honest "Street fighting" is not something that should be held high on a pedestal and in general a person who has been on many of these should really look at themselves and ask "why do I happen to get Into so many fights?"

Bad temper? Huge ego? Big mouth? It is rare you will need to defend yourself that many times, so adds are you will be having to contribute to said large number.

Latest Discussions