Palin and C.S. Lewis

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
C.S.Lewis wrote more than childrens books. He's one of 2 Christian authors I recommend. The other is Og Mandino.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wisdom and good storytelling are ageless. I have gone back and re-read the chronicles of Narnia several times as an adult, as well as the LOTR and Through the Looking Glass.

But, it's not as if C.S. Lewis wrote only kids' stories; Screwtape Letters being a classic example, and I fully intend to read Mere Christianity someday soon.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who has criticized Palin for reading CS Lewis? He is by far the most erudite and intellectual writer she has claimed to have read. If you are going to do Christian apologetics, you couldn't do much better than CS Lewis.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who has criticized Palin for reading CS Lewis? He is by far the most erudite and intellectual writer she has claimed to have read. If you are going to do Christian apologetics, you couldn't do much better than CS Lewis.

Joy Behar.

Apparently she he never read anything of Lewis' other than the Chronicles of Narnia and I would be surprised to hear she actually read those given her reaction to Palin's statement about reading CSL in the first place: "Aren't those children's book?" She obviously hasn't read them if she has to ask about them.

The fact that works such as The Great Divorce, The Abolition of Man and The Problem of Pain aren't even on Behar's radar screen speaks volumes. These works go beyond allegory, and even apologetics and establish Lewis as a worthy philosopher and spiritual writer. I'd also say that The Four Loves shold be required reading for anyone who wants to pursue any sort of philosophical study (and would benefit anyone who insists on opening their mouth on the subject given the current state of western culture's view on "love").

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions