Pacing out Siu Lim Tau

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Basic stuff ....relax without caving in........ maintain, keep structure,stay the course,all in this order...structure, speed,power............plain..enough....
c'mon people!

Last edited:

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember, don chi sao is a drill that has a purpose, to help you learn how to use your hand positions for chi sao:

Don chi sao (single hand) helps . . . .
A. Develop form (position), equalibrium (energy), stance
B. Develop elbow
C. Develop sticking
D. Develop roll
E. Develop tan sao
F. Develop bong sao
G. Develop jut sao
H. Develop dim jern
I. Develop relaxation

You learn how to transition from hand postion to hand position for:
A. Attack (dim jern)
B. Defend (bong & tan)
C. Ready (fook)

Both participants, while doing the exercise should be in a relaxed state, not forcing or putting too much energy in the drill. Many times, students put too much energy, or pressure, or force, and over extend the dim jern and the punch. The purpose of both is to teach your partner basic stick, defend, and counter to your movements. Remember, you are not trying to fight or strike your partner, but help train them to use the basic hand positions in the drill. If done correctly, the end product is everything listed above.

OP
B

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick update for this thread I started a while back.
I've been doing two classes a week for about two months I think now and I just got back from a six hour seminar about Siu Lim Tau specifically and the applications of the various little moves.
It helps a million times over knowing what the movements are and what they actually mean and are able to achive. Just knowing a little more about the little bits will make it a lot easier to slow down and think about what I'm doing because they aren't just faceless movements now, they have some meaning that I can work and tweak and stuff.

I've also been trying everyones advice of course, soon I'll be able to make it last all day without thinking about it :p.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm glad to hear of your progress.
While we are on the topic of pacing things out, remember don't burn yourself out, if your like me, hearing that will mean nothing to you, until it's too late.
I think your comment referring to being able to do it all day, was more for a humorous effect, none the less, too much of a good thing..
I was practicing like 4 hours a day, for a good 3-4 months, it's just hard to do in today's society without losing your marbles, not to mention it get's a little boring without a partner.

OP
B

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks :p, I do feel a little burned out afterwards. My legs are still getting used to the sunken stance, I cramp up late in the first part of the form, which isn't too bad and I'm getting better.
I try to go through the form at least twice a day though to keep it fresh in my mind.
My back starts to ache as well, I have fairly bad posture so Im constantly slumping forward and then correcting myself so yeah, twice a day is plenty for me at the moment before Im Siu Lim Tauered (Tired (sort of works as a pun))

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
My back starts to ache as well, I have fairly bad posture so Im constantly slumping forward and then correcting myself so yeah, twice a day is plenty for me at the moment before Im Siu Lim Tauered (Tired (sort of works as a pun))

Not good, your back shouldn't ache. If it does then you're doing something really wrong. Fix it, work on your stance (posture) before you go any farther. If you've been doing Wing Chun and SNT as long as you state, it shouldn't be an issue.

OP
B

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not good, your back shouldn't ache. If it does then you're doing something really wrong. Fix it, work on your stance (posture) before you go any farther. If you've been doing Wing Chun and SNT as long as you state, it shouldn't be an issue.

Its really just the old habits of my posture keep rearing its head. So I start off straight and then subconciously slump over a little bit so as I go through the motions I'm slumping and correcting myself. I just have to be stricter in keeping my spine straight.

Latest Discussions