Over comming obsticle's

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When student start out they are pump and ready to train, two weeks goes by and then life obsticles get in the way, how do you or your instructor handle this when it happens.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, some stick with it for about 8 weeks then never to be seen again...others hang in there a little longer before they reach a plateau...it is not really a lot you can do to convince them to come back...unless they tell you that they are getting frustrated etc.

A lot of times it helps to let them know about your own experience, other times you are just waisting your time trying...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, some stick with it for about 8 weeks then never to be seen again...others hang in there a little longer before they reach a plateau...it is not really a lot you can do to convince them to come back...unless they tell you that they are getting frustrated etc.

A lot of times it helps to let them know about your own experience, other times you are just waisting your time trying...

I agree giving personnal experiences are great to those that need a boost.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know an instructor who believe tying the student in for a fixed period contract helps. The money is paid so they tend to go.

Sounds terrible when put like that! (Its not me!).

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know an instructor who believe tying the student in for a fixed period contract helps. The money is paid so they tend to go.

Sounds terrible when put like that! (Its not me!).

No it does not sound terrible at all, it sounds like that is one way to keep them over a period of time and make them come to relize what they are getting.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He does. No doubt about that. I guess I just subscribe to an old fashioned view about MA's and money.

Thats not to say I disagree, it just still feels strange to me.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My sensei goes over expectations before he accepts you as a student. It's understood that regular attendance is a must and outside practice is required as well. Of course he can easily tell if you have been practicing and studying on your own, and you will hear from Sensei if you have been shirking!

Frankly, the way my dojo runs, you don't want to fall behind. It's a small class and if you're not "getting" it, your lack of progress will hold back everyone else.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When student start out they are pump and ready to train, two weeks goes by and then life obsticles get in the way, how do you or your instructor handle this when it happens.

I think it's just a case of prioritising and where you are in lifes journey. Unfortunately, sometimes family, money, health have to come first over martial arts. When I was younger I studied Goju Ryu Karate for a few months and really enjoyed it but unfortunately life got in the way. I had left college and needed a job. I got work in a restuarant where I had to work erratic shifts and the karate class only trained tues and thurs nights so I had to stop. Jobs available to me at that time all required shifts and mad rota's. People have to pay their bills and instructors need to understand that.

The one thing that I would say is that I missed it loads. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do martial arts as I then trained as a nurse equating to an even more erratic unfixed shift pattern of nights and long days! Thankfully I have subsquently moved to a slightly larger city where there are more options. My TKD class trains 6 nights a week! That means I can always make at least 2 nights a week.

So, I suppose if there is limited flexibility in the clubs training times then expect people to have to drop out at times due to changes in circumstance. It doesn't demonstrate lack of commitment its just life.

Latest Discussions