Hip problems

Bravissimo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a little curious. Anyone here who has done any significant length of training that has hip problems?

I ask, because of the 3 people I know who have had hip replacement, all 3 were TKD practioners. And 2 of them had both hips replaced.

My old judo coach said he knew several karate and taekwondo instructors who had to retire after double hip replacements. He insinuated that a career of kicking will do you in.

Anyone experienced this?

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never known any martial artists that have had to have hip replacements or hip problems, BUT I have heard the stories. I was told by an old instructor that it has to do with HOW a person is taught to kick. Some styles teach turning kicks that do not release the pelvic area to a natural position and put stress on the hip sockets. We are taught to open the pelvic are when we do side kicks and or turning kicks, I assume for power reasons as well as the added possible benefit of not "stressing" the hips.
I am not sure if this teaching is correct but when I do side kicks and turning kicks and do not "release" the pelvic area by turning the base foot more, I feel it in my hip area, just a thought.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
33 years without any hip problems...

Broken hands, broken toes, cracked ribs, chipped teeth, a little scar tissue here and there, but the hips are fine.... :)

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
33 years without any hip problems...

Broken hands, broken toes, cracked ribs, chipped teeth, a little scar tissue here and there, but the hips are fine.... :)

Miles

45 here and my hips are still going they hurrt from time to time but nothing serious.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I talked to a sports doctor briefly about this when we sat next to each other on an airplane. The technical discussion was above me, but what I took away from the conversation are that kicks at waist level or below are much less stressful to your joints and if you limit yourself to them, you can avoid the degenerative effects of martial practice seen so often in TKD or karate people.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of really seriously changing the way I train. I have several bad injuries from being in the army and I have reached the stage now where I cant go on training the same way as I have been.

My right hip isnt too clever, but the left is fine and I dont attribute it to TKD at all.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I talked to a sports doctor briefly about this when we sat next to each other on an airplane. The technical discussion was above me, but what I took away from the conversation are that kicks at waist level or below are much less stressful to your joints and if you limit yourself to them, you can avoid the degenerative effects of martial practice seen so often in TKD or karate people.
There was a thread over in the Kenpo forum (I think) a while back that examined each kick. The main conclusion they came to was that kicks that kept to a natural range of motion tended to be fairly safe (so a front kick for example is usually safer regardless of the height over a roundhouse/turning kick) Front kicks and back kicks were the least likely to cause much hip damage.