Ortize vs. Shamrock youtube!

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I felt before the fight that Shamrock had no chance, but even I still believe that stoppage was premature.

Ken still had his back curled and his hips engaged, and took the lion's share of the blows to the top of the head, where they had no effect. The man wasn't even bruised.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

From what I saw, and from what the referee saw, there was no defending of the sequence of elbows, and surely Shamrock would've caught more of them, turning his head into a bloody mess.

From the algle of the referee there was no action or control of the hips with the legs, and Shamrocks left arm wasn't defending them elbows.

That makes it a good call.

The fact that Shamrock was not completely destroyed and hurt doesn't mean he didn't lose the sporting match.

Personally, I would've liked to see more. Yet from the point of view of a working referee, I have to be on the side of the ref, since protecting the fighters is one of the job descriptions.

Sicnerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Did anyone think the ref stopped the fight to quickly?

Absolutely, although it wouldn't have gone much longer anyway.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok... At the risk of being a Jerk, please let me tell you a little bit about my expereince of being at the Mandalay Bay Event Center Sat night for the fight in person.

First of all WOW it was a packed house! If you didn't see some of the undercard firghts on the PPV they were really impressive and the Joe Stevenson fight was tremendous! At one point I could hear the sound of the leg impact on the other fighters thigh... Man that must have HURT!

But on to the Tito/Shamrock fight. The crowd went wild for Tito and Booed Shamrock when they entered. I was too high up in the stands to see the action very well so I relied on the screens in the arena and what the cameras caught but to me it certainly seemed as if Tito's blows were going unanswered and given the strength he demonstrated it would only take a couple landing well to seriously injure Shamrock. I think the Ref called it not just because of the elbows but also because of the complete dom,ination that Tito was displaying. That was a Big Throw and he cut through Shamrocks's defence like butter. I would have loved to see the fight go longer but I think it would have ended up with Shamrock get taken out in a stretcher.

The crowd went crazy when the ref called it. They started chanting "BullS*&%" and "Fight! Fight! Fight!". This incensed the two camps and the LVPD had to form a line in the middle to keep them apart. Meanwhile folks started throwing beer bottles (well ok so they were plastic beer bottles.. I wondered at that going into my seat at the beginning of the evening) at the Octagon and the PD had to disperse out to the crowd to settle the rowdy ones down. It was starting to look like a messy situation there for a little bit.

I was not surprised that Tito dominated Shamrock but I was surprised that Shamrock seemed so ill prepared for Tito's rush.

I do have to say a couple of interesting experiences though. I was in Vegas for the MA Super Show which is how I got tickets to the UFC and Tito actually ran a MMA seminar the day before the fight which I caught the last bit of. For all his trash talk and bad behavior in front of the camera, he is a VERY humble and well spoken person out of that limelight. He talked about how his behavior in front of the camera is designed to add spice and drama and it is not how he acts in reality. He stressed again and again how important it was to be respectful and humble to those around you and he was very gracious in answering questions and getting photos.

The other interesting anecdote was that Frank Shamrock (Ken's brother) was also at the show running a seminar. He is in amazing shape and ran a tremendous grappling tutorial. I was talking to some conventioners on Sunday before I flew back and they had remarked that they had bumped into Frank at a bar watching the UFC fight. They were perplexed about why he was not with his brother but Frank declined to comment. Apparently the two are not very close...

I was so thrilled to have actually been to a UFC event in person but I do wish the Shamrock / Ortiz fight had lasted at least a couple of rounds so we can get past this rivalry. I think seeing Ortiz go against Liddell is going to be an awesome fight! *grin*

Rob

Erik H

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the youtube posting of the fight. I wanted to see it sooo badly but couldn't. Anyway I agree that the ref stopped it too early I mean look at the Bonnar/Griffin fight. Those two looked like 4 or 5 guys whaled on them individually but the fight didn't stop there although there was a different ref I think. Point is I have seen more fighters take bigger better beatings than that with no stoppage. Shamrock looked so ticked. I would love to see them go at it again but on spike's regular series, not PPV. Liddell/Ortiz? That would be awesome to see that again.

Erik H

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great review of the fight. thanks!!

I wonder what is up between Frank and Ken?
Frank doesnt do any MMA tournaments like Pride or anything?