Opinions On This Please?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Look this really is up to you and its not important to me that i get my point across, but since this is a web forum and since you did ask...

It's a fair and well trodden debate about whether traditional martial arts or modern mixed/gym style training is better. I don't want to start that debate, but when you're dealing with classical Chinese or Japanese systems, there is a way that they are taught. It's not up to the student to figure it out, the deal is that you choose your teacher and they choose their students and they take you through the process. I don't know how traditional your sifu is or isn't, but I wouldn't advise anyone to chose a classical path and then try to navigate their own way through or around it.

If you're doing something modern (and there is a case to be made for that), it's different.

Just my views anyway.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look this really is up to you and its not important to me that i get my point across, but since this is a web forum and since you did ask...

It's a fair and well trodden debate about whether traditional martial arts or modern mixed/gym style training is better. I don't want to start that debate, but when you're dealing with classical Chinese or Japanese systems, there is a way that they are taught. It's not up to the student to figure it out, the deal is that you choose your teacher and they choose their students and they take you through the process. I don't know how traditional your sifu is or isn't, but I wouldn't advise anyone to chose a classical path and then try to navigate their own way through or around it.

If you're doing something modern (and there is a case to be made for that), it's different.

Just my views anyway.

You know what, that is wisdom. Point taken!

Latest Discussions