Only Christians relevant in Alabama

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:duh:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.
"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

As a 12-year Kentuckian, I apologize on his behalf. In fact, I'm displeased with him for how he set back public perceptions of the South to the level of "Deliverance." We really aren't all foaming at the mouth like this ... I swear.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.
"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

As a 12-year Kentuckian, I apologize on his behalf. In fact, I'm displeased with him for how he set back public perceptions of the South to the level of "Deliverance." We really aren't all foaming at the mouth like this ... I swear.

Be happy!

you are 2 states over!
:lfao:
please, consider this: He was the better choice! :eek: (and yes, I did suffer through a good year of those asinine campaign adds...)

(but I would have so much preferred the old Governor to stay on. He was not bad...)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't know, because I wasn't there to hear him.....
but perhaps this could explain it:

Perhaps if we knew the REST of the message he was trying to convey (Context) maybe he was trying to relate that in Christian theology ....All Christian's are seen as one family.... and perhaps his entire talk/speech/sermon was more along the lines of saying "I'd LOVE to be your (christian) brother....so please accept Christ....." etc.

Not a bad thing to say from a Christian point of view. Sounds like he was trying to convert, not condemn. Don't think he was saying that "only Christian's are relevant"..........and I don't think he was saying that his administration's view was that Christian's would be treated any differently than any one else. It doesn't seem he was making a statement about his political work, just about his desire that others become Christians.

....maybe. W/out a FULL context of WHO his audience was and What *ALL* he said.... can't say for sure one way
or
the Other...

Your Brother
John

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, it always pissed me off when my Northern friends greeted me with the "Dueling Banjos" theme. My city alone is the origin of the Jarvik heart, one of the greatest theater festivals in the US, hometown of Muhammad Ali and where Thomas Merton had his transformative epiphany. It's also the site of the 19th century national marketer's conference where the standard of "truth in advertising" was set. And the world HQ of the very liberal Presbyterian Church USA. What's so hillbilly abut all that? Hmph.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it always pissed me off when my Northern friends greeted me with the "Dueling Banjos" theme.

That's when you tell them ever so sweetly 'Why, bless your little heart'
:)

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi John,

I realized I was toying with fire when I brought in such a topic so close to the nerves of both religion and politics, but I was just referring to Southern stereotypes. I do thank you for the perspective though. It was well-spoken and thoughtful.

Respectfully, I remain, Your non-Christian sister,

Flea

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's when you tell them ever so sweetly 'Why, bless your little heart'
:)

And then of course immediately follow up by hugging their necks and offering up some sweet tea.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think everyone that has any type of public job has feelings of like and dislike of groups of people its natural and when it comes down to it you do your job without letting your feelings get in the way. Like I’ve said before I’ve had to protect the WestboroBaptistChurch clowns even when I’m against everything they stand for I still do my job. To deeply religious people non-believes are different then believers but as long as he does his job his feelings don’t really matter. Now if he lets his beliefs affect his job then he should prob not be re-elected.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he thinks it's okay to make a blatant statement like that from the podium at all, much less in his inaugural speech, I think it's safe to say that it's affecting his job.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he thinks it's okay to make a blatant statement like that from the podium at all, much less in his inaugural speech, I think it's safe to say that it's affecting his job.

nah, not around here. You can get away with almost everything as long as you are church going people...you could be <GASPETH> liberal....

Around here it was bigger news how much he spend on his shindig...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Saying how you feel and acting on it are different. I can say I hate Westboro Baptist Church members but it would not stop me from doing my job. If he were to act upon his words and say something like all true christians are now tax exempt that would be very different. Most people now days are afraid to say how they feel for fear of getting attacked by the media which is just whats happening to him

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, it always pissed me off when my Northern friends greeted me with the "Dueling Banjos" theme. My city alone is the origin of the Jarvik heart, one of the greatest theater festivals in the US, hometown of Muhammad Ali and where Thomas Merton had his transformative epiphany. It's also the site of the 19th century national marketer's conference where the standard of "truth in advertising" was set. And the world HQ of the very liberal Presbyterian Church USA. What's so hillbilly abut all that? Hmph.

Yeah, yeah. Piffle. Fact remains that you guys still play a bitchin' banjo. :ultracool

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

again this was my response to him being a douche by saying that

This :barf:this :angry: this :rolleyes: and a shed load of this :banghead:

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah. Piffle. Fact remains that you guys still play a bitchin' banjo. :ultracool

It probably wouldn't help at this juncture to mention that I was on a first-name basis with Homer Ledford, would it?