One of my favorite throws to do...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite throws. Most throws, you turn counter clockwise and throw counter clockwise. This one you turn clockwise and throw counter clockwise... (at least it feels like that) Lots of fun to do...

Can you post that in a way that doesn’t require a FB account? Mine got hacked, so I’m no longer able to get on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can train how to set up and also how to apply a throw at the same time. IMO, there is no need to separate as 2 different training.
In some cases, it can be hard to break down the openings until you understand the technique better. Sometimes the apparent openings aren’t as good as they look.

(Note that I can’t see the video, so I can only speak in generalities.)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In some cases, it can be hard to break down the openings until you understand the technique better. Sometimes the apparent openings aren’t as good as they look.
Some wrestlers like to play counter. You move in and spin your body, your opponent spin with you, and take you down. So if you don't have a proper set up, you should not move in in the first place.

One time I used a single leg on my senior SC brother David C. K. Lin.

- My left hand tried to reach to his leading right leg.
- My right hand tried to push on his right shoulder.
- He used left hand to knock down my right arm.
- He then used his right hand to strike on the back of my neck, and took me down.

I have 2 arms, my opponent also have 2 arms. When I use one hand to control my opponent's leading leg, I have only 1 free arm left while my opponent still have 2 free arms to counter me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It looks a little bit like a gi based variation of a fireman's carry.

Since I suck at even the basic version of a fireman's carry, I have no suggestions on how to make this one functional in randori. But it looks cool.

Nice throw from the overhook.

OP
W

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The hip throw in post #16,

- Your opponent left hand tries to reach to your right upper collar,
- You use right underhook to control his left arm, and
- move in with hip throw.

Your opponent's left arm can't do anything to you at that moment. This is the beauty of the underhook.
So, you believe that the hip throw in post #16 has no counter?

You believe that the counters shown in post #18 will not work against that hip throw?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that. There are a couple of throws in NGA that are related, but use the arm, instead. If I can find a video (I don't have a partner to record one with), I'll post a link. It'd be fun to try converting the movement to work from that grip.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that. There are a couple of throws in NGA that are related, but use the arm, instead. If I can find a video (I don't have a partner to record one with), I'll post a link. It'd be fun to try converting the movement to work from that grip.
Here's the Pivot Over the Back throw (at 1:17). The Over the Back throw is mechanically closer in some ways, but I couldn't find a video of it - think the fireman's carry throw, with wrist locks to lead them over.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, you believe that the hip throw in post #16 has no counter?

You believe that the counters shown in post #18 will not work against that hip throw?
There are 2 counters on post #18. The 1st counter requires your opponent's left free hand to reach to your forehead. The 2nd counter requires your opponent's left free hand to reach to your waist. When you use underhook, both are hard to do by your opponent.

When you use underhook, your opponent can use overhook to counter you. If we give the effectness of waist wrap/drag counter as 70% (you have less time to react), the overhook counter can be 30% (you have more time to react).

When your opponent uses

- force against force (such as overhook counter underhook), you will have more time to react.
- borrowing force (such as waist wrap/drag), you will have less time to react.

Last edited:
OP
W

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's the Pivot Over the Back throw (at 1:17). The Over the Back throw is mechanically closer in some ways, but I couldn't find a video of it - think the fireman's carry throw, with wrist locks to lead them over.

I have worked on that throw with the Aikido folks here. (sorry they are not NGA...) You are right... it is similar. Too similar for my taste ;) its just close enough, that it makes it hard for me to do, as I keep reverting to our version when trying to do theirs.

Ours is more diagonal and over the shoulder... that throw (at least according to the Aikido folks I train with) is more straight over the waist. To accomplish that, I turn in more and tighter... where they turn in less, but extend uke in a totally "different" direction for the load. But, it does feel surprisingly similar.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have worked on that throw with the Aikido folks here. (sorry they are not NGA...) You are right... it is similar. Too similar for my taste ;) its just close enough, that it makes it hard for me to do, as I keep reverting to our version when trying to do theirs.

Ours is more diagonal and over the shoulder... that throw (at least according to the Aikido folks I train with) is more straight over the waist. To accomplish that, I turn in more and tighter... where they turn in less, but extend uke in a totally "different" direction for the load. But, it does feel surprisingly similar.
I've never had a chance to work that with folks from Ueshiba's Aikido. I'd love to feel the way they do it - we tend to be more direct than them in a lot of ways, and the way they lead often eludes me.

Latest Discussions