FMAT: The "punch" hit for short power

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
The "punch" hit for short power
By geezer - 07-11-2010 02:14 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

In the stuff I'm learning, one of the favored strikes is a short, hard punch with the stick. It can be delivered from a lot of angles, but most often just practiced with the stick held close in front of your right shoulder, either with the tip up to give a no. 1, or with the tip angled left across your chest to give a no. 2. (actually it's our no. 12). Anyway, it's this position that I'm interested in. You shoot your fist forward, explosively driving the shoulder, waist, hip, and body weight behind it, a like a power-jab from a right lead. So, even though the stick is across your body like a no. 2, it is delivered like a forehand strike. You are driving your right side forward, rotating counter clockwise just as though punching with the right fist. This seems to be quite different, in fact almost the reverse of the whipping, clockwise rotation you often see with a typical backhand or no. 2 strike.

This "punch" strike is very dominant in both FMA systems I've studied, Latosa LWS and Torres DTE. But then both these guys also box. On the other hand, I don't see it much with other guys I get together with. Some have even told me that I'm "turning the wrong way". I admit that I was a bit taken aback, since I had just assumed this was part of everybody's arsenal. So my question is, "Are you familiar with this strike, and do you use it in your FMA?"

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions