OMG a balanced video on MMA vs TMA?!?!?!?!?!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

I actually found this rather logical and much more balanced than almost any video I have seen on the topic. I am interested on the views of other people.

Keep in mind he is addressing it in the context of in the Ring vs. on the Street against a Street attacker (robber, person looking to assault you etc.) not what we usually see which is MMA solely against TMA. He also notes the importance of the "approach" and "intent" of the practitioner such as the difference between someone training to deescalate violence vs escalation etc.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got two mins in and he has sais nothing at all apart from uuuuum and urmmmmmm. So i gave up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know how I say things are story based?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got two mins in and he has sais nothing at all apart from uuuuum and urmmmmmm. So i gave up.

Nobody ever shapes up or moves intelligently in a street fight. So they move more predictably so tma will work. Where as in a ring fight. Well they can actually fight. So it is different.

He is basically saying MMA is some kind of super power.

He also went into street fighters over committing punches. Some psychology and then I ran out of phone credit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way the difference is some of your objectives are different. Some of their objective s are different and so there is more advantage to certain tactical approaches.

So for example. If you have unlimited space. Your ability to cover a large amount of ground becomes important. You may have to run forwards to engage or run away to evade.

That sort of thing changes up what you can do successfully.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody ever shapes up or moves intelligently in a street fight. So they move more predictably so tma will work. Where as in a ring fight. Well they can actually fight. So it is different.

He is basically saying MMA is some kind of super power.

He also went into street fighters over committing punches. Some psychology and then I ran out of phone credit.
I watched the entire thing and it was a bunch of conflicting statements where he would say one thing about a topic and then he would say the opposite later on. It just ended up sounding like an complex excuse for why TMA "Grandmasters" get their butts handed to them by MMA. It makes me sick to my stomach. No one would think less of TMA if they just admit that not all TMA have of focus on learning how to fight, or learning how to use the martial arts technique in the fight. What is worse is that later on towards the end that he doesn't teach martial arts, but he teaches the combat aspects of martial arts... or something like that.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched the entire thing and it was a bunch of conflicting statements where he would say one thing about a topic and then he would say the opposite later on. It just ended up sounding like an complex excuse for why TMA "Grandmasters" get their butts handed to them by MMA. It makes me sick to my stomach. No one would think less of TMA if they just admit that not all TMA have of focus on learning how to fight, or learning how to use the martial arts technique in the fight. What is worse is that later on towards the end that he doesn't teach martial arts, but he teaches the combat aspects of martial arts... or something like that.

I guess I read between the lines. When he spoke of intent and focus I was saying "you have teachers who teach in the 'traditional' method and those who teach in what is now sometimes called a 'combative' method." It took me, literally, over a year to find my current teacher who teaches a combative method and who has used WC and Kali in real life encounters as a LEO. That mindset difference, which the video does address at points, is why I like it. So perhaps I was projecting my own personal journey to find a teacher that specifically addressed the specifics of true "street level" violence and how it relates to Martial Arts in General?

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost every technique in generic MMA can be found in Kung Fu. The difference is that MMA people train to fight, 99.9 percent of Kung Fu people like dancing around and talking while Chi Saoing. The difference is between the ears mostly.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost every technique in generic MMA can be found in Kung Fu. The difference is that MMA people train to fight, 99.9 percent of Kung Fu people like dancing around and talking while Chi Saoing. The difference is between the ears mostly.
This is the one thing I think he misses and we talk about it a lot around here...the need of pressure testing to really prepare for real fights.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the one thing I think he misses and we talk about it a lot around here...the need of pressure testing to really prepare for real fights.
Exactly, none of this Form mumbo jumbo. Forms are a modern invention. Back in the good old days when Kung fu was an actual battlefield art it was just drills for kills. Chop the head and side kick. Back fist and front kick. Etc etc.

Now a days people just dance around instead of using Kung Fu training for what it was designed: killing people on the battlefield (hence the broadsword, spear, etc.)

People ask "what about inner peace?" I always reply, "inner peace comes from knowing you can kill people at will with your bare hands, but choose not to."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

RSBD I guessed that from the shirt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

He side stepped that with the nobody ever fights like they know what they are doing stuff.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I read between the lines. When he spoke of intent and focus I was saying "you have teachers who teach in the 'traditional' method and those who teach in what is now sometimes called a 'combative' method." It took me, literally, over a year to find my current teacher who teaches a combative method and who has used WC and Kali in real life encounters as a LEO. That mindset difference, which the video does address at points, is why I like it. So perhaps I was projecting my own personal journey to find a teacher that specifically addressed the specifics of true "street level" violence and how it relates to Martial Arts in General?

What was he saying about mind set?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's just it. The "Traditional Method" is all about combat. Everything from the conditioning exercises to the strength building exercises, and the weapons, say as much. It screams combat. It think the problem is that China cracked down on many schools who taught martial arts as it truly should be and in their place changed the perception of martial arts as being all about being honorable and not about fighting. In my eyes, the training isn't about fighting, but the use of it in a Self-Defense aspect is.

It's like shooting a gun. People shoot at targets, it's not about killing, it's about hitting the target. But that changes when the target becomes an animal or a violent attacker in the context of self-defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's just it. The "Traditional Method" is all about combat. Everything from the conditioning exercises to the strength building exercises, and the weapons, say as much. It screams combat. It think the problem is that China cracked down on many schools who taught martial arts as it truly should be and in their place changed the perception of martial arts as being all about being honorable and not about fighting. In my eyes, the training isn't about fighting, but the use of it in a Self-Defense aspect is.

It's like shooting a gun. People shoot at targets, it's not about killing, it's about hitting the target. But that changes when the target becomes an animal or a violent attacker in the context of self-defense.

Only sort of. We set ourselves up with these lofty goals and in chasing them miss what is going on around us.

So I may not be training for combat but I can punch a guy so hard he pees himself.

I think to a certain degree martial arts is about these little goals that then almost incidentally become those larger ones.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I e seen a few such , and there always seem to be a marked disparity between the contestants', with the tma master being smaller older and less conditioned than the mmma fighter.

if there is an intrinsic false hood in tma, it would seem to be that old out of condition small men can hold there own against much younger . Much bigger very fit men

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can sort of see where the guy in the video is coming from, although he is generalising far too much. Yes you will get people on the street who will literally just charge at you with arms flailing and no concern for their own safety, but to assume that they will all do this is dangerous thinking. Yes you are going to get drunken idiots who telegraph all their attacks and have no coordination and training, but you may also get those who do know what they are doing.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind he is addressing it in the context of in the Ring vs. on the Street against a Street attacker (robber, person looking to assault you etc.)
There is no such thing. Or, rather, there is no way to quantify and qualify it. A "street attack" and "street fighter" could be, and has been, almost literally anything. It could be just a monkey dance brawl where no one is really trying to deliberately and permanently injure anyone but, rather, determine dominance and position on the social ladder. It could be a robbery without intent to harm or a robbery where the robber intends to leave no witnesses. It could be "the knock out game." It could be a random murder with any weapon or no weapon at all. The attacker could be unskilled, untrained, and inexperienced or experienced but untrained, or trained and experienced. I've seen examples of all.

It is simultaneously everything and nothing at all. The argument is, therefore, meaningless.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great another one.....who cares if it's balanced why does it even matter. Why does this vs nonsense have to exist...someone enjoys tma more then great, someone enjoys mma more then great. People like different things. Let everyone just get on with their own thing and focus on your life.