Olympic Combat Sports

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got about 30 minutes of the Karate today on the BBC. What a load of crap! And yet they show hours of soccer, rugby, golf, hockey…things we see all the time on TV. I’m absolutely disgusted with their coverage.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pancrase is of course the popular choice.
Is it, though? I mean, I get why it's an emotional choice... harkening back to the original Greek Olympics, etc. But who really does Pancrase? It's always been an oddball promotion. There's no governing body, no national organization. I mean, does Pancrase exist outside of Japan? The Shamrocks would be happy, though.

BJJ or submission wrestling both have the infrastructure needed to get something like this organized. There's some work to be done, but you could practically plug either or both into the Olympic framework as they are.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We got about 30 minutes of the Karate today on the BBC. What a load of crap! And yet they show hours of soccer, rugby, golf, hockey…things we see all the time on TV. I’m absolutely disgusted with their coverage.
Soccer? Don't you mean football? ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that’s good to know…I thought the 30 mins-worth I saw on the BBC was all we were going to get!

We've been watching it live on Eurosport.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons, IMO, is that karate kumite has not gone off the rails in mutating into a sport format,
And it won’t now it’s been dropped by the IOC…I’m quite relieved to be honest.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Hours or Water polo and basket ball and 15 minutes of Karate.. Heck I watched shot putters warm up for at least 15 minutes.....I'm with you... Not a fan of the coverage either.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hours or Water polo and basket ball and 15 minutes of Karate.. Heck I watched shot putters warm up for at least 15 minutes.....I'm with you... Not a fan of the coverage either.
I agree. And believe me, it's worse where I am. Television viewing in general out here, is thirty years behind the times.

And trying to find any particular Olympic event according to their listings - darn near impossible.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should see the coverage on the standard channels here... they pretty much only show the ones that the Aussies are competing in.

"Here we are artistic gymnastic finals... oh.. wait.. an Australian is competing in the 1st heats of the 3000m steeple chase??? Of we go to that......"

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there some way we can complain to the BBC?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree. And believe me, it's worse where I am. Television viewing in general out here, is thirty years behind the times.
You don’t have the infidelity-encouraging, bed-hopping ‘Love Island’? You don’t have on-screen karaoke programmes (X-Factor, The Voice)? You don’t have minor ‘celebrities’ trying to dance in glittery clothing? No programmes trying to make baking cakes an interesting, extreme sport? Count your blessings, my friend!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t have the infidelity-encouraging, bed-hopping ‘Love Island’? You don’t have on-screen karaoke programmes (X-Factor, The Voice)? You don’t have minor ‘celebrities’ trying to dance in glittery clothing? No programmes trying to make baking cakes an interesting, extreme sport? Count your blessings, my friend!
My son in law is currently in the US, with racehorses (watch for the Godolphin colours, they've already won the Derby, the Irish Derby and a few more. 😀) he's also worked in the US, he says however bad you think UK television watching the American stuff will make you think ours is brilliant, yeah there's some far here but it's good quality that lol and then the Blue Planet type programmes, the Dr. Brian Cox ones, etc. etc.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son in law is currently in the US, with racehorses (watch for the Godolphin colours, they've already won the Derby, the Irish Derby and a few more. 😀) he's also worked in the US, he says however bad you think UK television watching the American stuff will make you think ours is brilliant, yeah there's some far here but it's good quality that lol and then the Blue Planet type programmes, the Dr. Brian Cox ones, etc. etc.
I had a few ‘Horizon‘ programmes on VHS from the early 80s that I used to show my university science students. They were data-rich, presenting a logical progression of ideas and a strong narrative. They were excellent! Now, BBC science programmes are nebulous, present few facts and with, instead, Coxy staring meaninglessly into the middle-distance with his…’hair‘ and prominent overbite! As for ‘nature programmes’, I can’t watch animals being eaten by other animals 😖 and yet I had no trouble removing a head, brain, heart or lungs from a cadaver for the purposes of teaching medical, dental and science students their human anatomy!🤷‍♂️

Anyway…drifted off-topic!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is there some way we can complain to the BBC?

I don't know, but they wouldn't care what I had to say anyway...they'd just laugh at me, tell me I'm bonkers, and then tell me to go away ;) I'm in America watching it on the USA network and NBC.

But if there was a way to complain I would, hours and hours of basketball today...... heck they had a lot of TKD......but only 15 minutes of karate... seriously

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horses for courses. Some people like very restricted fighting, other like the beauty of well-performed kata. I don’t like Strictly…type dancing but it’s skilful. As to kata promoting self-defence ability….well, MMA don’t have kata and I’d rate their self-defence abilities higher that, say Rita Usami!
While I agree that kata likely isn't an efficient path to fight training, pointing to where it isn't only shows it isn't necessary, not that it isn't effective.

Latest Discussions