By the way...

Intel core i5-3450
3.10 GHZ
RAM 4. GB
64 bit

Old?

:D

IMG_20180829_232547673~2.jpg

Oh, and the win10 compatibility tool says no, uhnuh, no way - not supported because graphics card.

Yeah right, I showed it. I showed it good :punch:

OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way...

Old?

:D

Oh, and the win10 compatibility tool says no, uhnuh, no way - not supported because graphics card.

Yeah right, I showed it. I showed it good :punch:

You lost me about the video card. I did read the specs required for win10. Everything looked good except the video card. I don't know what this PC has or how to compare them.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You lost me about the video card. I did read the specs required for win10. Everything looked good except the video card. I don't know what this PC has or how to compare them.

The one I pictured has a video card built in (being a laptop it can't be changed) that doesn't have drivers available for windows 10 - the newest supported is vista.

So I made them work instead...

You have an advantage with yours though, it's newer ;)

If you go to the dell site there's a driver pack available for your machine for win10 - I recommend installing that if you haven't already.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Everything looked good except the video card. I don't know what this PC has or how to compare them.

According to your manual, assuming no one changed anything, you are running one of the following:
  • Intel® HD Graphics 2500 - integrated with the CPU
  • 1GB AMD RADEON HD7570 - dedicated graphics card
  • 1GB AMD RADEON HD7470 - dedicated graphics card
You can tell if it's a dedicated card or integrated graphics just by looking at where the monitor cable plugs in, if it's a dedicated card it'll be in it's own card slot and if it's integrated it'll be plugged into the main board probably close to and above (assuming its a mini-tower case like the picture I saw of your model) the USB and network ports. If you take a look at the manual I linked to in an earlier post there's a picture of the back of your PC with labels for all the ports.

There's not much difference between the 2 dedicated cards, they're both old-ish and middle to low end of the line for their time. The integrated graphics are probably pretty slow and use system RAM so if you feel like your computer is running out of memory or too slow for video editing work this is one of the first thing I'd check. Probably even if you've got a dedicated card you could improve performance by getting something new that's good for video editing even if it's a mid range card. Video editing is not my specialty so I can't say much more than this.

If you want to know exactly what card Windows thinks you have I can give you directions about where to look.

If you go to the dell site there's a driver pack available for your machine for win10 - I recommend installing that if you haven't already.

And I heartily agree with this ^^^.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The GPU isn't of paramount importance for video (or photo) editing - some programmes use it more than others if available, but as long as it'll run full HD nicely it'll be fine for a start.

That might change as you get more into it, I believe stuff like premiere shifts a lot (in comparison) of the processing to the GPU so a lack of power then could cause big slow downs...

I currently use a geforce 8800-380 with no problems, which isn't exactly that modern or top end.

System ram is always worth having a look at though, 4GB will do for photos (as long as you aren't getting too many layers in with raw files) but 8 would be better.

For video, it again depends on the level of editing you're looking at and how long the videos are - 4GB will start looking borderline really quickly and waiting for parts of the file to be moved in and out of swap is painful.

OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my initial thought was to add some more RAM and a new video card. but i will be looking into Adobe premere elements for a start, not sure what that requires yet. ill see how that goes and as money is available i will grow the system as i need it.

Latest Discussions