Old man beats Old Age to death with Tiger Crane form.

HammockRider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking of taking a CLF class at a local school but was afraid I was too old. Then I saw this video and realize that if a man twice my age can do this, I have no business thinking I'm too old for anything. Except maybe diapers.:uhyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can see where time has wounded the warrior here and there but the smoothness of movement in places was pretty inspiring :sensei rei:.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to the person who posted the video on YouTube, the gentleman performing the form was 90 years old when that was recorded. Pretty darn impressive.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That... is... AWSOME!!!!

I recently came to the conclusion that as we get older we put limitations on ourselves that may not be in our own best interest.

The most amazing and most powerful Changquan (traditional not modern wushu) I ever saw was in Tiantan (Temple of Heaven) Park in Beijing. I was walking around and I came across these two guys doing amazing forms with power and incredible root with perfect form and if I had to guess, by looking at them one was in his 70s or 80s and the other in his 80s or 90s. The only thing that depressed me (in my 40s at that time) was back in my early 30s I did the same exact form they were doing except they were 100 times better.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The technique is supporb. Thank you for posting this video. It is excellent to see people of advanced age practicing still; I know of a 108 year old who laments their inability to walk any longer, and they cannot do their kata. However, I don't think I've ever seen such fast hands from a person in a wheel chair. Age should never discredit one from martial arts... it just means one must adapt to what they are able to do.

I hope... when 100 I will still be able to practice as this man is able to do so (doesn't matter his age). May he never give it up, and continue his art.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had been thinking about joining a Hung Gar school within driving distance, but like you I figured I'm too old and will need to stick with Taijiquan. This guy gives me hope, although I doubt that he started late in life. Still, you never know.
Hmmm...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had been thinking about joining a Hung Gar school within driving distance, but like you I figured I'm too old and will need to stick with Taijiquan. This guy gives me hope, although I doubt that he started late in life. Still, you never know.
Hmmm...

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Thunderbolt on Tapatalk. Excuse the auto-correct spelling errors.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lum Jo passed away this week... 1909-2012. Nothing but Hung Ga for the majority of that 103 years.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lum Jo passed away this week... 1909-2012. Nothing but Hung Ga for the majority of that 103 years.

Amazing person and awesome kata. The cartwheel was the bomb...........

RIP Lum Jo :asian:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah that wasn't Lum Jo. I've never looked for Lum Jo on Youtube come to think of it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
was that Lum Jo in the video?

That was Yeung Dakyau in the video

Southern Shaolin „Tiger and Crane Double Form Set (Fu Hok Seung Ying 虎鶴雙形), performed Yeung Dakyau sifu 杨德友師傅 (90 years old at the time when the video was shot), a Nanjing 南京 practitioner of Naam Siulam Tingong Mun 南少林天罡門 and a TCM physician. He has started the training at the age of 6; currently he is 92 years old.

Latest Discussions