Ok. CMA wizards... I ask you awesome identify skills again.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes it was Yang Family, but Hwang Kee never wrote the chinese name of the Jang family teacher. He used the Korean name for his Yang Taiji family style teach much to the dismay of researchers trying to track his teacher's school down in manchuria.

Yang, Kuk Jin was the name HK used.

Just read a TSD history that says they think Yang, kuk jin was Yang Zhen Guo. That is not likely since they are throwing around the year 1936 and 1940. Yang Zhanguo was 8 in 1936

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for the response.
I dont think you are being harsh. You are pretty fair imho.

You stated:
Had he stayed to completion, he would've most likely received both.

All in all Hwang Kee spent 20 years in manchuria china working internal arts and Taiji was the primary study. I think he was at mastery level.

He had taiji as something for senior dans. Not for brand new students. It was Purely Hard then Purely soft. Up until he created the Chil Sung katas which integrate both.

The chil sungs made the previous forms get pushed to the back burner.

I really desire this form for my personal study.
Your desire for the form would be better served if you find a competent sifu in the Chinese system represented, or similar. The form looks like some variant of what is often found in the fundamental and basic training in a lot of the Northern schools. Find a good sifu, you will get a similar form with the benefit of the proper background to understand it and reap the benefits it has to offer.

Usually, when one system adopts a form from another system, a lot of the necessary background does not get carried over with it. It becomes a hollow and meaningless dance. This form is not advanced and is not secret. But it still requires proper instruction in order for it to have value.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your desire for the form would be better served if you find a competent sifu in the Chinese system represented, or similar. The form looks like some variant of what is often found in the fundamental and basic training in a lot of the Northern schools. Find a good sifu, you will get a similar form with the benefit of the proper background to understand it and reap the benefits it has to offer.

Usually, when one system adopts a form from another system, a lot of the necessary background does not get carried over with it. It becomes a hollow and meaningless dance. This form is not advanced and is not secret. But it still requires proper instruction in order for it to have value.

Nuggets of goodness as always!!

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just read a TSD history that says they think Yang, kuk jin was Yang Zhen Guo. That is not likely since they are throwing around the year 1936 and 1940. Yang Zhanguo was 8 in 1936

Yeah I heard that one too.
If only HK had written his sifu's name in Hanji it would be real easy.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Absolutely. Without someone to teach the framework for understanding the motions and techiques, and how to transfer them into usable or street action, the journey is interuppted. However is a sifi has spent sufficient time to insure perfect form, posture and motion are transferred.

The journeyman can be taught the meaning by another.
Or the journey resumed.
This is sometimes the case when a sifu dies of old age or a student practioner has to move.

Then... Some rare and gifted folks through meditation can have flashed of insight and awareness and make discoveries.

Things like Naifanchi and Sanchin can be studied for a lifetime and the well doesn't run dry.

It is my observation that system founders tend to be very promiscuous students. They tend to draw from many many tradtions, sometimes they are deeply rooted in two or more systems other times deeply rooted in one with lots of shallow suface roots in others.

The founder of WadoRyu spent thirty years gaining mastery in his base art. Then learned Okinawan Karate from two masters. One taught him 16 forms over a few years. The other taught him 1 kata.... but with very great depth.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions