OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just bought

The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
On Killing : The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society.

ManOfVirtues

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know first hand what you are talking about. Afraid its paranoia getting the best of you. But like everyone says, if it feels wrong, it probably is.

My fiance and I live in a perticularly bad part of Omaha. On more then one occassion have a scared someone trying to get onto my property. Car Jackings have become more and more common, watching an SUV follow you around the block to your house that you know something is a mis about.

every other week or so we practice sensory skills, removing the sight to promote the sense, mimicing the 5th dan test. Prior to my Bujinkan training I had an extensive history in Ki training.

Its amazing what your subconcious picks up that your mind ignores.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the thoughts! I have really come to realize that it is natural and that it is OK. Also, even if I am wrong, and nobody gets hurt, it is OK, to be wrong. Although, I have had some new experiences since this one that have been quite interesting. The most recent one, was this weekend while my wife and I were staying in another city on a weekend getaway.

Although, this time, it was a someone on the street (panhandler or that sort) who approached us from behind (although he was already on radar before we had even turned the corner of the block). However, this time, my experience was different. I moved my wife in front of me as the person approached us from behind, just as he approached the edge of the "Safe" range behind me, I quickly turned on the person and I looked him straight in the eyes and in a resolute voice said "what do you want?!?". The person started acting drunk and quickly mumbled something about being in trouble and high-tailed it out of there, diving into a local pub as quickly as he could.

The difference with this experience versus the last, was I felt completely calm, as if I was in training. I also looked him straight in the eyes and felt as though no matter what he tried, he was not going to succeed and at the same time, I was relaxed. After he moved on, I went on about my business. I wasn't fearful or excited or felt like I had somehow escaped death, I simply just went on as if I was completely in tune with everything around me. Actually, it felt very care-free, the whole time.

Not really knowing how to explain this, but I am beginning to not feel as though I have to be "on-guard" all the time. I feel as though, if I just not worry about things and just let things flow, I will be given the forewarning I need when danger arrives. Just like us walking down the street this weekend. I wasn't on-watch, just all of a sudden my attention was drawn to this person. I wasn't trying to spot a bad person, the bad person just showed themselves, so to speak.

Weird stuff for sure!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Your subconscious definitely picked up on something. Something I'm familiar with in my life experience. Perhaps the gentleman's mind was changed when you became aware, or he lost nerve, if he was going to rob the place. Anyway, something was there! Always trust that sense in the future.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a similar experience to Dave's a few years ago. A co-worker and I closed an Irish pub on Manhattan's lower east side, and I was taking the subway back to my hotel. I was bit worse for wear, so I was leaning against one of the support poles. An individual entered the car I was in, and appeared to be scoping things out. When he was about 10 feet away, I straightened up, and stared straight at him. He abruptly turned around and went back the way he had come.

Latest Discussions