Obstacles in tkd

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what are some of the obstacles some of you guys have faced in your competition career or in general with Tae kwon do and how you over came them?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably the biggest obstacle for myself and my kids has been time. As a custodial single parent of two sons, my day is very full. During the school year, every minute of the day is spoken for, but still, we have found time for martial arts.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With me it is finding enough quality time for training, since I own and operate my school it become ssa chore sometimes.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree, time. I work 60+ hours a week, so finding time outside of class is a bit of a chore. I usually have to fit in 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. I probably won't be able to get into a more steady routine until October, when our station should (*fingers crossed*) be fully staffed again. I hope.

After that, it's finding space. I'm trying to convince my fiancée that we don't really need the second couch. She disagree, since we need the seating for company. Ignoring the fact that we've had company over once in the last 4 years. :rofl: (No, I'm not really the social type. ;))

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
Relaxing the body for a tournament.
body falling to pressure and you freeze up is a poo.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Flexibility, money and time.

I am not very flexible making it hard to kick anywhere above the waist. Axe kicks and any kicks with the word "high" in the title are very difficult.

TKD can be a money hungry hobby and I have stopped advancing so that the money can go towards my kids advancing.

I go to the dojang about twice a week. I would like to go more often but my family comes first and I need to spend time with them too. My kids are only young once and I want to be there as they grow up.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My obstacles right away are: 1.-Over weight and 2.-Been Lazy. I have to admit it I'm an emotional human been that all my emotions are towards eating and been so heavy lends me to think I can not overcome this so I go lazy. However there is soemthing that does not permit me to quit and it's the faith in what I do (TKD) waht I love the most of all my hobies, so I can not atend to all my TKD sessions but always return for some punishment jejejejejeje.

Manny

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've got a new one, but one I think I can over come.

I had my first try at sparring yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and I was told my techniques were pretty good, given that I'm just a lowly little white belt. :)

One of the sparring "matches" was against my Sa Bum Nim. His review of my sparring performance: "You're too nice." :asian: Yeah, I saw that one coming. Not like I haven't been accused of that before. :lol2:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that my biggest obstacle is myself, or the little 'NT that comes after the word can. I have found Through training if the NT is out then you often surprise your-self with what comes next.