Obeisity Responsible For High Cost of Health Care

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is SAD..many people do not make the efford to excercise and eat the proper foods (limited amounts too)

We all were brought up to eat "lots" or all on our plate..

Nutritionist can tell you what you should eat! ....most will close the ears..and open the mouth wider here!

Proper way to eat...base on studies..a up to 5-7 times a day...every hour or two...small nutritius portions...

Those MAIL ORDER MEALS...they kinda gotta it right!

Many of us CANNOT CONTROL OURSELVES....so easy to eat more...so easy to sit/ lie down and watch TV.....

or sit and play on the computer....and talk story- (NOT me?)

Aloha....dinner is ready...gotta go...

PS: Would you like the government to issure you your meals for your benifits? .....everyone? ...no sodas, snack, or chocolate cakes-just white ones?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't stop that little voice from paraphrasing:
First they came for the smokers...
Then they came for the obese...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Got a cigarette? ;)

Hell if I'm going to demonized, I'm damn well gonna enjoy it. :D

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Who are 'they' and didn't they come for the crackheads before the smokers?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Consider this...

If you cut your calorie intake to 1500 a day...

Thats 15 1/2 bottles of Miller Light.

Problem Solved.

:D

(Hey I know its crap beer, but we all gotta make sacrifices)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also don't like the way BMI calculates things.

I'm 6' tall, 170 lbs. According to the calculations using the international scale, I'm at a bit over 23, which is listed as borderline overweight (Korean parents). Anyone who has seen me in person will tell you that I'm one of the last people that someone would consider "overweight."

I inherited a pair of legs that contain a lot of muscle mass, which allows me to get some pretty good height on the jumps in some of the more dynamic kata (Unsu, Kusanku Sho, Wanshu). Such muscle tissue is much more dense than fat tissue, which is why you should always take the BMI measurements with several grains of salt.

As for Miller Lite being a crappy beer, well, I gotta disagree! It's my favorite inexpensive beer.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The last couple of years, physicians in Canada have started relying more on either calipers or just plain waist size. If you're 6' tall with a 48" waist, it's hard to argue that you are not overweight. But even if you are 300lbs, with a 32" waist, it's likely muscle mass.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid,Mum would feed me with huge, cheap meals, beans on toast, shephard's pie, hot pot, casseroles and make me eat it. "You're not leaving the table till you've eaten all your food" Then I'd have dessert; apple pie, spotted dick with custard, bread and butter pudding (all home made). That was ok though, because five seconds after eating, i'd be outside, running around like a nutcase with my mates. Things have changed now though. Kids eat mammoth meals and then sit around all night playing X-Box.

Now, I'm in too minds about the whole thing. I don't want the government in my business, telling me I can't be a chubby fella and I don't want private insurance companies telling me the same thing either. Then again, I want my premiums as low as possible and I resent the fact that people who do nothing to prevent obesity in themselves and end up getting ill, force my premiums higher. I feel the same way about smokers and heavy drinkers/drug users.

I come from a family that is ridden with illness. My little bro has severe asthma. He was on prednisone as a kid and his weight sky rocketed. I felt sorry for him, but he smoked and still does, but as long as he has his inhalers, he believes he can smoke and remain healthy and doesn't believe (he says) his asthma has anything to do with his smoking.

My mother has colon cancer and has been fitted with a colostomy. Her diet is crap, or crap with gravy and she doesn't for one second believe that her diet contributed to her condition.

My closest uncle died in '07 of an infection he got in the hospital while been treated for gout, athritis and liver toxicity. He diet was crap and his drinking made Oliver Reed look like Mother Theresa. He , again didn't believe that his maladies were the result of his lifestyle.

Now, I have never smoked, I drink occasionally, but never to excess, I eat a healthy balanced diet and I train everyday. What's more, I almost never get ill.

When I would speak to Mum, my brother or uncle about the need to change their lives, they would say "It's none of your business". Yet they were all being treated on the NHS (in th UK) and I was the only one paying taxes and National Insurance. So when it boils down to it, when I contribute to your health care and you don't IT IS MY BUSINESS.

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Screw that, if I want to be fat I damn sure will be fat.
This nanny state has to end, remember how much money we were going to save on health care because of the tax on smokes, my insurance has not gone down yet has yours?

Fat tax my ***, should be called "the we can't find anything else to tax tax"

Telling me what I should eat, isn't going to change what I can afford to eat... mmmm irradiated potatoes my favorite....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol, it could be that some or most of your 20 pounds is muscle weight, and since your friend doesn't have much muscle, that's why she weighs 20 pounds lighter. Did your doctor actually test your BMI or did she just put you on the scale and then looked on the height/weight chart for the average BMI for your height/weight?

If she just looked at the chart, then 30% may not be very accurate for your activity level, muscle mass, etc. Yours may actually be lower, so you would really need to have an actual BMI test.

It is a difference in muscle weight. If for no other reason, the last time I visited, my friend's husband said "Hey Carol, you're strong, would you mind helping me move the dining table?" :lol:

The problem is, the insurance companies just use the formula of

BMI = (weight in pounds * 703) / (height in inches)^2

Which...doesn't take muscle mass in to account, and muscle weighs more than fat.

It may work out better for me in the long run though. Muscle mass or not, I still have plenty of flab that has to go. Doc says there is a chance that if I can lose 20 pounds of body fat, that may take the pressure off my lower back, and make surgery unnecessary (but there is no guarantee).

No surgery is a pretty good motivator, I do admit :D

Latest Discussions