Nunchaku

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Wiki

Regardless of its origins, the nunchaku was not a popular weapon, since no known traditional kata (choreographed practice movements) for it exist, possibly as a result of its lack of efficacy against contemporary weapons such as the katana.

Picking up on the 5 year old doing his routine, I was wondering about just what type of attack someone would attempt to do. Looking at the above, I would imagine that the lower part of the body would be favoured, as apposed to trying to crack a defenders head like a melon.

I noticed when reading a bit further down on the Wiki, other arts use them. Just assumed it was a Kung Fu weapon. Guess I watched too much Bruce Lee. What do you peeps train with them. Do you actually spar with them?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nunchaku is a Japanese word, not Chinese, so Okinawa / Japan when it comes to that name.

Anyways, there is a group called Nunchaku-do that holds sparring tournaments with padded ones, if you head over to youtube you can find some videos. I'm pretty sure there is some dog brothers footage floating around as well.

It's a fun weapon to mess around with, but it's not that useful against other weapons when the other guy knows what he is doing. They are portable, easy to conceal and can hit very hard, plus they look really cool when choreographed. But for duelling in a fencing sort of sense, not the best option.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have seen 3 Dog Brother fights in person with the nunchaku and it never really went well for the guy with the nunchaku. Hard to control, impossible to feint with, relatively easy to grab, the list goes on.

The only advantage would be that it could be concealed more easily than a stick. But if concealment was important I'd take a knife.

As for how to use it, a bonk on the head is probably your best option, there are some interesting pain compliance uses that it has in close, but those are going to be tough to get, and it is usually a pian technique, not a damage technique, so problematic.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonk on the head...Hmmm...I'm gonna make a guess that it means something like what we here in the U.S. Might call a "facial"?

Bonking is shagging which is having sex... :cool: 'How' sets up a whole load of other terms lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but a facial is a facial :D Thanks for ruining my thread with corruptible thoughts!

This will probably dispel any thoughts of Brits being uptight lol...a friend of mine when he saw a woman in glasses always said they were wearing 'splashguards'.....
Oh and facials are good for the skin and that's official btw look it up.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will probably dispel any thoughts of Brits being uptight lol...a friend of mine when he saw a woman in glasses always said they were wearing 'splashguards'.....
Oh and facials are good for the skin and that's official btw look it up.

Yeah I saw the article about certain liquid benefits, or just human porridge. You are such a pervert :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always snicker a bit when I walk past the beauty/hair salons and one of their services advertised is Facials.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know some filipino groups use nunchucks (yes I'm gonna spell it like that) I've experimented with them and they just generally seem to be a pretty poor weapon if you're fighting against another armed person. Try using some to hit a tire or heavy bag and you'll see how a lot of the fancy stuff goes out the window. It has potential to do damage but I see it similiar to the balisong/butterfly knife the motion can intimidate and perhaps confuse the opponent but I'm of the philosophy that for combat simpler is better, less is more ect. I have seen more practical flail type weapons one called the dos palos that is similiar to the nunchuk, the main difference being that one of the lengths of the weapon is longer than the other so you can safely swing the weapon without risk of it rebounding into you.

MatsumuraKarate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From my understanding they are an equalizer weapon. From the oral tradition passed to me they were favored as a self defense tool of the elderly. Most of the techniques I practice with them are not strikes but trapping, joint locks, and strangulations. They most definitely are more effective against an unarmed attacker, but if properly trained I believe can be used against an armed attacker

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my understanding they are an equalizer weapon. From the oral tradition passed to me they were favored as a self defense tool of the elderly. Most of the techniques I practice with them are not strikes but trapping, joint locks, and strangulations. They most definitely are more effective against an unarmed attacker, but if properly trained I believe can be used against an armed attacker

Yeah don't disagree. However, seem a bit hit and hope even in skilled hands.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have sparred with them, and practiced kobudo with them for 4 years. I remember my first pair were foam pair. About a year later I got wooden. I went home that day. And the first thing I did was accidently hit my funny bone (which was not funny). And in the past ive hit the tips of my fimgers many times (attempts to catch other end). Im better with nunchaku now and yet I still get a little nervous when I hear the whipping sound when the nunchaku passes by my head

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have sparred with them, and practiced kobudo with them for 4 years. I remember my first pair were foam pair. About a year later I got wooden. I went home that day. And the first thing I did was accidently hit my funny bone (which was not funny). And in the past ive hit the tips of my fimgers many times (attempts to catch other end). Im better with nunchaku now and yet I still get a little nervous when I hear the whipping sound when the nunchaku passes by my head

How nervous would you be when that moment cometh the blow? From my uneducated viewpoint ofc :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not so nervous more like in pain (if it hit me in the head) but so far that has never happened. Its definatly not my favorite weapon I prefer the bo staff

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
99% of the time the person knocking the nunchaku bought a pair & after knocking himself out a few times he realized it takes extensive training to be able to use it in a fight & now tells everyone who will listen it's "ineffective".....unless you wanna hurt yourself.

Elmore's ebook is THE most realistic thing I've read in the nunchaku. The nunchaku is even more effective than it is simple...which is VERY! All it is is a 2-piece club linked by a chain/rope used to beat or choke an assailant. If it wasn't for Bruce Lee nobody would even know what the hell a "numchuck" even is. There has never been a single shred of proof of its martial use in any art ever. An angry disarmed Okinawan farmer used it to strangle an enemy & it's use grew from there. If it wasn't successfully used many times it would have long since disappeared. I'm sure there are many agricultural tools men have used to kill with that weren't dreamed into being a karotty weapon. The nunchaku simply was used by Okinawans who also developed a very effective unarmed method of self defense & it was sucked into legend by vacuum & Hollywood marketing the right kinda movie at the right time. The nunchaku needs to be in the Okinawan agricultural museum & not associated with martial arts in any way or form. This fact does not negate the nunchaku's deadliness one bit IMO. It just isn't part of karate or kung fu history in real way.

The real history of the nunchaku - Alex Levitas' NUNCHAKU and NUNCHAKU-DO site

Last edited:

Winchester

Orange Belt
Reaction score
They need to make a movie about a poor Okinawan farmer who goes on a vengeful murder spree using nunchaku rice flail.

Latest Discussions