Now when exactly did Mickey get dumbed down?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Somehow we are being cheated n the birth country of The Mouse!
In Germany you can buy paperback comic books with adventures of Mickey & Co. Fun stuff, exiting, with real bad guys. Plus you can buy a weekly comic...

I think I did see a Mickey comic lately, but I am not 100% sure. but around here, the Mouse has been demoted to kiddy entertainment, Mickey's playhouse, teaching infants how to count...and even the big cat, the Arch Enemy of Mickey has turned into a good buddy...
And by golly, I don't think there is a kid in the US these days who could associate 'Dagobert Duck' (I think he's called Scrooge in English) and his gold with hilarious scenes when he dives into his gold coins for his daily swim!

I call shenanigans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMU2NwaaXEA&playnext=1&list=PL2F1EDCBE59518651

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have read the Mickey Mouse comic books they date from at least the 1940's.
The cartoon Ducktales has been around since the mid 80's early 90's and its spin off Darkwing duck early to mid 90's.

Plenty of Mickey Mouse teaching games and books its not very recent goes back to at least the 70's and 80's.

So I am not sure how far back in American history you are going with Disney and educational things.

Speaking of Disney and Germany:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D24OEVXmW0&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I don't have a beef with Teacher Mickey in itself, but for the more grown up child there is nothing left anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to get my hands on the counting/ABC games with Winnie the Pooh my kid hat 10 years ago, the songs were catching.
But I think the bigger kids are being cheated out of some fantastic Mickey adventures and not everybody playing nice, you know, stories with real suspense, even if in graphic novel :)lfao:) form. Not to mention it encourages reading.

If you have noticed, the Ducktales are youtube only at this times...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The new Wii Mickey game is darker and more adult. Still kid friendly, but the entire premise is darker than what you'll find on Mickey's Playhouse (which is a modern version of the Micky Mouse Club, a show that has always been for kids).

In the game, Mickey is basically confronted by his alter ego, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and the other "cast off" disney characters in a land without color. Largely through a very selfish act, Mickey condemned them all.

Pretty interesting stuff, and deeper than the typical fare.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, the game is pretty cool, it actually prompted me to think of all the comics my kid is missing out on because we are in the US of A and not in Germany, where Mickey always has been somewhat of a kickbutt tough Mouse...though I seem to recall there were a few more Donald books in the shelves.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the game, Mickey is basically confronted by his alter ego, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and the other "cast off" disney characters in a land without color. Largely through a very selfish act, Mickey condemned them all.

Pretty interesting stuff, and deeper than the typical fare.

Wow!! That's got some history...

Latest Discussions