Now Thats Parenting

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
http://xboxfor100.ytmnd.com/

Read the entire thing. This kid is getting what he deserves for Xmas.

No, while I certainly would NOT reward such bad behavior with an X-Box (the kid is probably already heavily spoiled), I would avoid such a dirty trick as this. The kid kicked a $2,000 stereo system? Let him do a month of extra chores or take away privileges and tell him why his behavior has cost him his new "toy". Don't descend into pettiness. Discipline the child but remain the adult.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I don't think that is a nice thing to do? But kids learn to behave from their parents. It is the parents who teaches the kids how to behave and act.

The children also learn from others,TV, school, friends and who knows where and when?

"Yes" each child do form their own personal self.

It it the childs fault or the parents fault? Why do some parents have good children and others do not? Can we choose to have the best ones?

All children learn from observing others....then they will learn to follow...do you agree? or are we born like that? Nope!............Aloha

PS The X-box is having heating problems....many are being return....!

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
No, while I certainly would NOT reward such bad behavior with an X-Box (the kid is probably already heavily spoiled)....Don't descend into pettiness. Discipline the child but remain the adult.
I tend to agree with this.... While this kid definitely needs to be disciplined, I'm guessing....and this is just a guess, mind you, that this kid has been a little ***** for quite awhile. It wasn't until he kicked daddy's mega-buck stereo system before it was decided that consequences may be necessary. I agree...they are....but I also get the feeling that the parents are a little "late to the party" when it comes to creating consequences for inappropriate behavior with this little "darling".

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are kids for whom consequences are consistently levelled upon them and they just don't respond.

You can't judge the parents based upon this individual issue. They may well dole out discipline and punishment everytime the kid does something and raise the bar appropriately but if he does not respond and finally just goes overboard, I say good for the parents. Eventually you have to get into guerilla parenting.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
http://xboxfor100.ytmnd.com/

Read the entire thing. This kid is getting what he deserves for Xmas.

This is an absolute classic... no doubt!

But it sounds distinctly "made for TV" ie. it's funny [and apparently justified] because it touches something vengeful in us. But I'm wondering how many of us would apportion this punishment to our own kids? Few, I'd imagine. As stated upthread, kids have no better role models than their parents. I'd certainly never attempt to tell another parent how to raise their children but this kid doesn't know where his boundaries run to, why is that? Maybe the parents expend more effort in procuring $2K stereos or whatever? Hmmm. Makes you wonder what's going on here...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I think it's great. As a parent, this appears a last resort effort to get through to a child who is uneffected by typical discipline. There has to have been numerous attempts at reasoning for a parent to go to these lengths. The child is placing demands on the parents and they have had it up to here.

Don't descend into pettiness. Discipline the child but remain the adult.
I don't consider that pettiness, I consider it discipliine. The punishment should fit the actions. The kid demanded his xbox early, couldn't wait til Christmas and decided since he couldn't get his way, to attempt to destroy an expensive household item. So, can't wait til Christmas? Then don't get it at all. Next time he'll learn to wait just like everybody else.

I tend to agree with this.... While this kid definitely needs to be disciplined, I'm guessing....and this is just a guess, mind you, that this kid has been a little ***** for quite awhile. It wasn't until he kicked daddy's mega-buck stereo system before it was decided that consequences may be necessary.
Agreed. And I don't believe the parents haven't already tried other forms of discipline that haven't worked. Kids are different, what works for one won't necessarily work for another, even among siblings.

I also get the feeling that the parents are a little "late to the party" when it comes to creating consequences for inappropriate behavior with this little "darling".
That may be. However, it's never to late to start when you see your mistake. And at this point, drastic action is needed. I would bet at this point in time trying to dole out extra chores or giving a "time-out" would only create a war of wills.

Rest assured, this kid isn't going to have a present-less Christmas. I'm sure he will have lots of gifts under the tree. But hopefully he'll learn that if he wants an xbox, he's going to have to 'earn' it with good behavior, and that destructive demands are going to lose it for him. You can bet he'll get an xbox another time, hopefully with lesson learned. Just my .02.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This parent is right on track. Too many kids are spoiled and expect these material items like a birth right. I am shure that this child will rember the coal for the rest of his life.

I once recieved a lump of coal in my stocking and I thought it was liquorish..........I found out the hard way that it was not, yuck!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd do this, but I can imagine a parent needing to really make a point in this way. I don't find it remotely abusive.

Will it make things better, or just raise the tension? When options like this start to look good, it's time to ask whether a little family counseling is in order. Someone is having a lot of fun ("You supply the charcoal") in making his point with this kid. To my mind, how funny the parent finds it is the worrying sign. One must be very careful in applying creative punishment.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, whatever happened to just beating your children??? :whip:

I got whipped with all kinds of objects and I turned out just fine and was totally respectfull.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i think the kid mostlikly needs this lesson, kinda reminds me of last year when some parent actuioned off all his kids xmas presents on Ebay