Now how fricking creepy is this!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This year (feels weird to say that since well, it's school related and we are just starting the new year...), this calendar year we have lost three parents from the high school band.
One lady passed in April, one gentleman in June (around Father's Day no less) and last week another lady got killed.
The band is small, maybe 40ish kids, so losing 3 parents is against the odds. (We are not in a high crime area)
I was about to look for somebody to exorcise the spirits, you know, dragon/lion dancers, LOTS of fireworks....after all, I am a parent, right!

Now the super creepy part: all their kids are in the same grade...3 of 8.
Now somebody give me the odds on that.

I am putting my hopes on the rule of three, so hopefully we are done with this sad business for many years.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year (feels weird to say that since well, it's school related and we are just starting the new year...), this calendar year we have lost three parents from the high school band.
One lady passed in April, one gentleman in June (around Father's Day no less) and last week another lady got killed.
The band is small, maybe 40ish kids, so losing 3 parents is against the odds. (We are not in a high crime area)
I was about to look for somebody to exorcise the spirits, you know, dragon/lion dancers, LOTS of fireworks....after all, I am a parent, right!

Now the super creepy part: all their kids are in the same grade...3 of 8.
Now somebody give me the odds on that.

I am putting my hopes on the rule of three, so hopefully we are done with this sad business for many years.

Not that creepy-well within statistical norms, especially if the father died of heart disease, and the mother who was killed was in a car accident. Disturbing, of course, because we like to cling to the illusion that we're all going to live forever, but the fact is that we're not, and things like this are bound to happen, and no creepier than if all three parents had been killed in the same car accident.......that's the short version; I could show you all the math, but that's the bottom line....

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not that creepy-well within statistical norms, especially if the father died of heart disease, and the mother who was killed was in a car accident. Disturbing, of course, because we like to cling to the illusion that we're all going to live forever, but the fact is that we're not, and things like this are bound to happen, and no creepier than if all three parents had been killed in the same car accident.......that's the short version; I could show you all the math, but that's the bottom line....

Well, the mother fell victim to....I guess you have to call it domestic violence...
The chance of more than one parent being killed actually go up during football season...

I am considering a garlic necklace for this season tho....but I don't think we have vampires.

(But I don't think you can fit the math on the forum...by the time you considered all the variables! ;))

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So sad. Sorry you have to deal with this loss.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
unfortunate... not creepy.

creepy is that guy that lives in his van down by the river :uhohh:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do have to clarify tho, I only knew the lady who died in spring. The kids, with the exception of the latest tragedy are not in my son's section (and they are all a couple of years older) so we did not have a real connection past the common goal.

Latest Discussions