Now for something REALLY IMPORTANT

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could the days of the British "pint" be numbered?

Tue, Jan 4 2011
LONDON Reuters EXCERPT:

- British pubgoers could soon ditch their traditional pint in favor of a "schooner," a smaller measure of beer used in Australia, under government changes announced on Tuesday.
At the moment, pubs and restaurants are limited to selling alcoholic drinks in certain measures, but the government wants to introduce a new range in response to changing trade practices and consumer tastes.
Instead of choosing between halves or pints, drinkers would also have the option of a schooner, the equivalent of two-thirds of a pint. Wine glasses would also see a change.
"We have listened to consumers and businesses. They have called for fixed quantities to be kept but with greater flexibility. That is what this change will deliver," Science minister David Willetts said in a statement.
END EXCERPT
Really? I had no idea the size was a size because of a law, seems kind of silly, doesn't it?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
could the days of the british "pint" be numbered?

tue, jan 4 2011
london reuters excerpt:

- british pubgoers could soon ditch their traditional pint in favor of a "schooner," a smaller measure of beer used in australia, under government changes announced on tuesday.
At the moment, pubs and restaurants are limited to selling alcoholic drinks in certain measures, but the government wants to introduce a new range in response to changing trade practices and consumer tastes.
Instead of choosing between halves or pints, drinkers would also have the option of a schooner, the equivalent of two-thirds of a pint. Wine glasses would also see a change.
"we have listened to consumers and businesses. They have called for fixed quantities to be kept but with greater flexibility. That is what this change will deliver," science minister david willetts said in a statement.
End excerpt
really? I had no idea the size was a size because of a law, seems kind of silly, doesn't it?

<gaspeth>

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be up to drinkers what they order though, it's just to give the pubs more choice in what size they sell not to do away with the pint. Pubs are restricted in what they can sell, the new measure will just be another they can offer so it's up to pint drinkers what they have.
In view of the alcohol problem we have here it could be a good thing or people will just ignore it and drink as much as ever, fight as much as ever, still vomit and undress everywhere.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don, the fixed sizes are the law for a couple of very important reasons.

The first is that it allows the government to apply taxes easily and efficiently. The second is that it protects the customer from being defrauded by the vendor i.e. that you are getting what you paid for in the quantity you paid for.

As far as I recall, what we colloguially term the Department of Weights and Measures is actually part of the Department of Trade and Industry (but I'm not certain :eek:).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine said he made himself unpopular in America when he was over there as he insisted the bar tender poured his Scotch into the glass first then put ice into it. He said they'd put loads of ice in first then pour the whisky in so that it seemed you had a full measure but you didn't.

Pub measures are sacrosanct, the problem is that it's also a northerners v southerners thing especially up here on the Garrison where we have a very mixed bunch of people, one lot of people like a big head on their beer the other likes almost no head on it! it makes the beer either look like it's a very full glass or not.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine said he made himself unpopular in America when he was over there as he insisted the bar tender poured his Scotch into the glass first then put ice into it. He said they'd put loads of ice in first then pour the whisky in so that it seemed you had a full measure but you didn't.

I don't think I was consciously aware of it, but this is one of the reasons I only drink beer in public venues. A friend of mine ordered a Scotch once and I recall being skeptical toward the slightly brownish glass of ice water that he received.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pub measures are sacrosanct, the problem is that it's also a northerners v southerners thing especially up here on the Garrison where we have a very mixed bunch of people, one lot of people like a big head on their beer the other likes almost no head on it! it makes the beer either look like it's a very full glass or not.

Not in America, home of the 14 and even 12 oz pints!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but apparently you can't get a fishbowl margarita in the UK.

You can in a lot of places but at about £24 a go it's expensive, mostly found in the City of London clubs where the bankers (boo,hiss) are spending their bonuses

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's all them closet Germans....asking for a head on an English beer....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could the days of the British "pint" be numbered?

Tue, Jan 4 2011
LONDON Reuters EXCERPT:

- British pubgoers could soon ditch their traditional pint in favor of a "schooner," a smaller measure of beer used in Australia, under government changes announced on Tuesday.
"We have listened to consumers and businesses. They have called for fixed quantities to be kept but with greater flexibility. That is what this change will deliver," Science minister David Willetts said in a statement.
END EXCERPT
Really? I had no idea the size was a size because of a law, seems kind of silly, doesn't it?
Me suspects the Schooner glass makers are all for this.:)
Sean

Latest Discussions