Nova PBS show "Secrets of the Samurai Sword"

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw this advertised should be a great show. They always do a great job with the history of everything.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't see much TV, but I'll make the time for this.

I have the katana my father, a Marine Captain, brought back from the Pacific.... a couple years back, I bought a wakizashi for $100 off a junk table. An expert told me that it was made before 1570.... so perhaps I got a bargain.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw this advertised should be a great show. They always do a great job with the history of everything.

Agreed in full. I think we can count on a much better job than we've seen from NatGeo or Discovery! Thanks for the pointer, Brian.

Thanks! I don't see much TV, but I'll make the time for this.

I have the katana my father, a Marine Captain, brought back from the Pacific.... a couple years back, I bought a wakizashi for $100 off a junk table. An expert told me that it was made before 1570.... so perhaps I got a bargain.

Um, yup!! And no, that's not envy you're reading in there... really! No, I mean it....

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An expert told me that it was made before 1570.... so perhaps I got a bargain.

If it makes you feel even better... for me to get a longsword from 1570, I'd have to pay many thousands of dollars... likely more than I make in a year! So uh... I'm jealous. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

simplymadnes

White Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone catch who the smith was they showed ? I got interested in the program and would like to do some more research. TIA

simplymadnes

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that site.... didnt see his name on there until now though. Gassan Sadatoshi is what I was looking for. Thanks again.

simplymadnes

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes there is much more info on there than I thought. I was hoping to find some books, etc and I would also like to see some more swords. I never realized all that was behind one of these blades.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately a good show and worth the watch if you can catch a rerun!
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have watched it... but my everloving cable company did something or other this afternoon, and now I'm lucky to have the bottom, most basic tier of service. Of course, they can't have someone check it out tonight... but I'm fortunate. I actually got a service call tomorrow afternoon. And maybe, if I'm real lucky, they'll give me some token credit on my bill...

And these morons want to provide my phone service, too...

(Of course, check out this woman's response... My wife suggested I mention I have a hammer...)

Jeff HArris

White Belt
Reaction score
Saw it last night and it was good.
As for the cable we used to have that problem alot to. Thats why we have direct tv, no more problem.

Jeff Harris