Not feeling it...

Nyarlathotep

White Belt
Reaction score
A former teacher of mine once said that focusing too much on the physical sensations of qi-gong is a trap that most ppl fall into at some stage of their practice... I guess it's a bit like peak experiences in meditation in that way.
Paradoxically I both agree and disagree with this.

Focusing too much on the sensations of Tai'Chi can definitely represent both a distraction and a trap, especially if one becomes fixated solely on the pleasant sensations.

However on the other hand if you don't pay attention to them (the kinesthetic sensations of Tai Chi that is) you are more likely to fall into the error of making movements that externally resemble Tai Chi, while lacking the connectedness, relaxation, structure and rooting of the art proper.

Remember Tai Chi is an internal martial art, each posture and movement takes shape from within.

As for the more subtle sensations, whatever they may be, I personally think that the only sensible approach to take is to aim towards ever deepening relaxation, coupled with calm perception of what is there... not what you feel should be there, or what other people have told you should be there, but what is there.

Don't expect cosmic fireworks though, it's just the everyday buried beneath the mind's chattering and the body's tensions. But again take no-one's word for it, least of all mine... look and discover for yourself.

Tai G

White Belt
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot.

Qi is what Qi does...

Rob

I think you've about got it covered Rob. I would add the line from the classics that intention leads the Qi, the Qi leads the blood...
When you do qigong or taiji or Reiki and your hands fill with blood and get that mottled look on the palms I think you're feelin it.

Also the idea of Qi in chinese medicine can also refer to the function of organ systems, so in one sense if everything is functioning well in your body that could be one definition of good qi flow.
peace.

kempocat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do feel something VERY special that best translates as a viabrating warmth and opposed magnetics along with a great calm I assumed that everyone was feeling this
but when I talk about it I find out just how alone I am with this
then I saw a qoute " those that dont know talk
and those that do know dont talk"
I think I am somewhere in between as I usualy pay the price for talking by being told how completely wrong I am or that I am dreaming it all

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many people do Tai Chi Chuan (who knows why people forgets all the time the Chuan part)? How many people do Ba Gua? How many people do Aikido? How many Internal Martial Arts are out there?
If you think, there are many people involved in internal Martial Arts and many of them can use those Arts proficiently as self defence. So is Chi something we all develop or is Chi not important for Internal Martial Arts?

I personally do not believe to Chi as used in fighting like many people do. True, through relaxation and meditation you can reach incredible things (like you will notice you can start warming up different part of your body). That is just blood circulation related. Chi exists, but in a health related discussion.

If I could use Chi in fighting I should be able to knock you down whatever happens: while shaking your hand, stomping on your foot, pulling your ear and so on.
Way too often people see miracle things happening in Tai Chi, Aikido or other Internal martial Art dimostrations and they immediately say it is Chi. If so would make no sense having so many styles...it would be enough 1 style that teaches you how to land a punch and Chi will do the rest.
All those miracles are a combination of timing, correct movements, correct angles, extreme relaxation (can't tell you how an even undetectable tension in my shoulder can prevent me from doing a technique, and most of the times I don't feel that tension myself), beeing able to feel what goes on in you and your opponent and most of the times also playing with the mind of your opponent (in Aikido there is alot of it).
Of course this is just my opinion and many Masters will not agree with me, but to me that is CHI used in battle, not a mysterious energy that will come out at the right time to help you.

kempocat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
after doing standing QiGong meidatation as if holding a large ballon I noticed that my hands and arms repeled each other just as if they were apposing magnets . this was very strange to me so for years I kept conducting different different exsperiments to prove to my self if this is real or not I have also read books about this subject I have even produced this condition between my hands and had someone else place their hand in the middle to see what they felt with out explaining anything to them before and in most cases the feeling they felt was the same as what I felt
this condition is strongest when I am feeling well and the condition cannot be produced if I am angered
Is their someone in the internal arts world that would like to reflect on this? PM me if you would like
it has been said that this type of field can me used in energy healing any info is appreciated
thanks

Latest Discussions