Northern Mantis vs. Southern Mantis

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What are the main differences between the two Praying Mantis styles? I'm not wondering which is better, just the differences, I'm seeing a lot more northern Mantis schools than southern.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, I know, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

What's to get to the bottom of, they have completely different origins. The only similarity they have is the name Mantis. Just because a guy in the North called his style Mantis (tánglángquán) and a guy 1200 miles away in the south called his style mantis does not mean they have any relation at all.

It’s like trying to get to the bottom of why does the tiger form of Hei Hu Quan look so different form the Tiger form of Hebei Xingyiquan. They are different styles with different origins that is all.

The following is from here

Southern Praying Mantis (南派螳螂) is a Chinese martial art native to the Hakka (客家) communities of Southern China. Despite having the name “Praying mantis”, this style is completely unrelated to the Northern Praying Mantis style. In terms of history and techniques, the Southern Praying Mantis is more closely associated with fellow Hakka styles such as the Dragon (龍形拳) or Bak Mei ( 白眉拳)and more distantly to the Fujian family of styles that includes Fujian White Crane( 白鶴拳), Five Ancestors (五祖拳), and Wing Chun (詠春). There are four main branches of Southern Praying Mantis being practised world wide.

The following from here

Northern Praying Mantis (Chinese: 螳螂拳; pinyin: tánglángquán; literally "praying mantis fist") is a style of Chinese martial arts, sometimes called Shandong Praying Mantis after its province of origin. It was created by Wang Lang (王朗) and was named after the praying mantis, an insect, the aggressiveness of which inspired the style. One Mantis legend places the creation of the style in the Song Dynasty when Wang Lang was supposedly one of 18 masters gathered by the Abbot Fu Ju (福居), a legendary persona of the historical Abbot Fu Yu (福裕) (1203-1275), to improve Shaolin martial arts. However, most legends place Wang Lang in the late Ming Dynasty

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are prinicpals between Southern and Northern Mantis?

Do they fight differently?

What do their forms look like?

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Funny that someone would bring this up. There is a fellow near me who teaches Northern Mantis. Specifically 7-Star Praying Mantis and Taiji Praying Mantis....yes there are different lineages. I'm thinking of trying out the art myself. All the Northern Mantis styles are more external and long range. Southern Mantis is similar to most southern styles of Kung Fu in that it is more internal, and more short range fighting. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was today. Someone made reference to Chow Gar actually being one of the Southern Mantis lineages. If a Chow Gar person can straighten me out on this, I'll be grateful. There are several YouTube examples of Northern Mantis in action. One was put out by a site called www.chinwoo.ca. Not only did the Sifu demonstrate a form, he also showed application for the techniques in the form. I thought that was rather cool.

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 3 branches of South Mantis.

Iron Ox/Tieh Ngau Pai
Chu Gar/Chow Gar
Bamboo Temple

I train in Chu Gar and Bamboo Temple Mantis.

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
Brother Dale, how are you? How did things go at the taiji gala?
Had a great time though I was not 100% as I had to get the rabies vaccine due to being bit.

Master Chow

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Southern Praying Mantis is my family Kung Fu which was handed down from my Hakka ancestors and dates back over 2000 years.

A.The history of Southern Praying Mantis:
In the pass time it wont teach non-Hakka people because it was used to protect our family. Hakka people now is all over the world. But it was from the central part of the China. During the war in different Dynasty, Our ancestors keep moving to different province and moving to the south. In each place they were staying, they will bring their cultural to that place. So they were occupy the local's things. THat 's why Hakka means, "Hak" means guest, "Ka" means home. They were guest but they made the place to be their home.
Kung Fu is the only way to protect themself during different difficult times. They past it to their son and grandson and keep passing down. But we don't call it Praying Mantis at that time. It was just family Kung Fu with different name.

B.About the technique of Southern Praying Mantis:
I am the Inheritor of Bamboo Forest Praying Mantis Kung Fu and Chow Gar Praying Mantis Kung Fu. There are many similar technique in Southern or Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Actually all the Kung Fu have the similar technique. But I can tell you something about the forms. Some of my students they have practiced Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Reminder that it is also the different between Northern and Southern Kung Fu.

Northern:
The jumping foot steps always contain in the first form.
There have many forms.
The form is long and each form contain a lot of movements(can be 50-80 movements).

Southern:
Jumping foot steps always wont teach in the first form.
There have a few forms only.
The form is short and each form contain around 20 movements(or less than 20 movements).

One of the things that I want to mention, is that both Northern or Southern Kung Fu is good. The training method it also depends on the SiFu who teach you even the form was set. For example, we don't have the Jumping foot steps in the first form. Because we have it in the foundation training already. In the pass time even in my father generation, they had to do the foot steps and all the legs skill for 3 months long. Students they wont be allowed to learn the hand skill before that. They practice everyday and a few hours for each day. So that was 90 days. After that 3 months, they build up strong legs , strong waist, strong body and also very good at foot steps ,kicking and all the foot skill.

Even Northern and Southern style is different, but as what I said it depends on the SiFu. Form was set but human is flexible.

C.Here is my family Kung Fu
Bamboo Forest Praying Mantis, a Kind of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu.
It can let you understand more how my family 's Southern Praying Mantis Look Like:

And here is my web-site:
www.kungfuclasshongkong.com

Also I taught Tai Chi and there has over 3000 local and international students passed through my school.

My Tai Chi Web site:
www.taichielite.com/eng

Good Health, Good Life, Good Kung Fu
Master Chow Chin Ching

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing Chow Shifu!

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the Rabies shot, are you doing ok now?

I was planning on going to the gala but my schedule got all messed up so I missed it this year.

No worries brother. Getting back to 100% but it has been hard on my body. The vaccine is not that nice.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Southern Praying Mantis is my family Kung Fu which was handed down from my Hakka ancestors and dates back over 2000 years.

In the pass time it wont teach non-Hakka people because it was used to protect our family. Hakka people now is all over the world. But it was from the central part of the China. During the war in different Dynasty, Our ancestors keep moving to different province and moving to the south. In each place they were staying, they will bring their cultural to that place. So they were occupy the local's things. THat 's why Hakka means, "Hak" means guest, "Ka" means home. They were guest but they made the place to be their home.
Kung Fu is the only way to protect themself during different difficult times. They past it to their son and grandson and keep passing down. But we don't call it Praying Mantis at that time. It was just family Kung Fu with different name.

I am the Inheritor of Bamboo Forest Praying Mantis Kung Fu and Chow Gar Praying Mantis Kung Fu. There are many similar technique in Southern or Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Actually all the Kung Fu have the similar technique. But I can tell you something about the forms. Some of my students they have practiced Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Reminder that it is also the different between Northern and Southern Kung Fu.

Northern:
There have many forms.
The form is long and each form contain a lot of movements(can be 50-80 movements).

Southern:
The form is short and each form contain around 20 movements(or less than 20 movements).

One of the things that I want to mention, is that both Northern or Southern Kung Fu is good. The training method it also depends on the SiFu who teach you even the form was set. For example, we don't have the Jumping foot steps in the first form. Because we have it in the foundation training already. In the pass time even in my father generation, they had to do the foot steps and all the legs skill for 3 months long. Students they wont be allowed to learn the hand skill before that. They practice everyday and a few hours for each day. So that was 90 days. After that 3 months, they build up strong legs , strong waist, strong body and also very good at foot steps ,kicking and all the foot skill.

Even Northern and Southern style is different, but as what I said it depends on the SiFu. Form was set but human is flexible.

It can let you understand more how my family 's Southern Praying Mantis Look Like:

And here is my web-site:

Also I taught Tai Chi and there has over 3000 local and international students passed through my school.

My Tai Chi Web site:
www.taichielite.com/eng

Master Chow Chin Ching
Tom long pai? Is this similar?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Northern:
There have many forms.

Southern:

And here is my web-site:

My Tai Chi Web site:
www.taichielite.com/eng

Master Chow Chin Ching
Sam bo Jin?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Northern:
There have many forms.

Southern:

And here is my web-site:

My Tai Chi Web site:
www.taichielite.com/eng

Master Chow Chin Ching
Sorry mei guo tong long pai?

Latest Discussions