Northern Mantis vs. Southern Mantis

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but I heard of a book called "Mantis Boxing Basic Techniques that Grandmaster Ip Shui published. Apparently it's pretty famous but I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas on how to get a copy?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Southern Praying Mantis is my family Kung Fu which was handed down from my Hakka ancestors and dates back over 2000 years.

A.The history of Southern Praying Mantis:
In the pass time it wont teach non-Hakka people because it was used to protect our family. Hakka people now is all over the world. But it was from the central part of the China. During the war in different Dynasty, Our ancestors keep moving to different province and moving to the south. In each place they were staying, they will bring their cultural to that place. So they were occupy the local's things. THat 's why Hakka means, "Hak" means guest, "Ka" means home. They were guest but they made the place to be their home.
Kung Fu is the only way to protect themself during different difficult times. They past it to their son and grandson and keep passing down. But we don't call it Praying Mantis at that time. It was just family Kung Fu with different name.

B.About the technique of Southern Praying Mantis:
I am the Inheritor of Bamboo Forest Praying Mantis Kung Fu and Chow Gar Praying Mantis Kung Fu. There are many similar technique in Southern or Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Actually all the Kung Fu have the similar technique. But I can tell you something about the forms. Some of my students they have practiced Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Reminder that it is also the different between Northern and Southern Kung Fu.

Northern:
The jumping foot steps always contain in the first form.
There have many forms.
The form is long and each form contain a lot of movements(can be 50-80 movements).

Southern:
Jumping foot steps always wont teach in the first form.
There have a few forms only.
The form is short and each form contain around 20 movements(or less than 20 movements).

One of the things that I want to mention, is that both Northern or Southern Kung Fu is good. The training method it also depends on the SiFu who teach you even the form was set. For example, we don't have the Jumping foot steps in the first form. Because we have it in the foundation training already. In the pass time even in my father generation, they had to do the foot steps and all the legs skill for 3 months long. Students they wont be allowed to learn the hand skill before that. They practice everyday and a few hours for each day. So that was 90 days. After that 3 months, they build up strong legs , strong waist, strong body and also very good at foot steps ,kicking and all the foot skill.

Even Northern and Southern style is different, but as what I said it depends on the SiFu. Form was set but human is flexible.

C.Here is my family Kung Fu
Bamboo Forest Praying Mantis, a Kind of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu.
It can let you understand more how my family 's Southern Praying Mantis Look Like:

And here is my web-site:
www.kungfuclasshongkong.com

Also I taught Tai Chi and there has over 3000 local and international students passed through my school.

My Tai Chi Web site:
www.taichielite.com/eng

Good Health, Good Life, Good Kung Fu
Master Chow Chin Ching
Please forgive me if I spell this incorrectly, is Sam Bo Jin or some similar sounding name the name of one of your forms? A low kneeling stance short stepping with ginger fist and single knuckle punch included but no kicks. Does this sound familiar? If so, please correct me on the name of the form. Thank you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I spell this incorrectly, is Sam Bo Jin or some similar sounding name the name of one of your forms? A low kneeling stance short stepping with ginger fist and single knuckle punch included but no kicks. Does this sound familiar? If so, please correct me on the name of the form. Thank you.
Oh well I just replied to a 6 year old post that already replied to previously...