Non-Wing Chun

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Coordinating the effort is the issue. And not everyone agrees that ignoring X is the best way to handle it. So therein lies the trouble.

I know that my experiences here have vastly improved once I put certain people on ignore. When it becomes clear that you just cannot have meaningful and positive interactions with certain people, then it’s time to stop all interaction with them.
What does the ingore thing do? I want to see the post because they are good sometimes. Sometimes lol

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with the ignore function is that people respond and sometimes quote the person you are ignoring and so you either end up with responses, but not what they were responding to or seeing the post you're trying to ignore anyway.

As for Wing Chunners (and probably other TMAist) being "run off" by people like our friend here who trolls every Wing Chun thread, it is a real thing. I'm not super happy with the term or the idea of being "run off", because we're all martial artists and should be able to hold our own. But engaging with internet trolls is a waste of time at best and is actually just a bad thing to have in your life at worst.

I would love to have an internet forum in which I could discuss and debate the systems that I train in with other people who train or are interested in them. I am interested in systems that I don't train in and people who don't train like me, so I don't need for it to be exclusive, but I don't troll other systems' fora. In other words, I don't go into a TKD discussion and bash on TKD. I either read it or I don't, but I leave the discussion to practitioners of that art.

There is a group of people here who look for new threads on Wing Chun and then come in and bash Wing Chun or start propping up whatever style or system they train in. There are even people (usually on the younger side) who don't have experience in ANY system, but they read about martial arts and then come in and say things like "the vertical punch doesn't make any sense, if it worked it would be used in MMA."

So, maybe "disengage" would be more accurate than "run off". TMAs are passed on from teachers to students and generations to generation in person, not on-line. I don't need this forum, but I do get some value from it. The noise created by these trolls puts a price on that value and frequently, it makes me feel like the cost is too high for the value, so I disengage and focus instead on my training and my student's training. For this to be a really great resource for people like me, it would need to be moderated differently. No criticism intended, it's a tough job and mods are usually volunteers. They have jobs and lives too and dealing with trolls is not fun for them either, but in the end, the trolls are the loudest voices in the room and whatever validation their fragile egos get from tearing down things that they don't understand is more important to them than participation in a web forum is for people like me.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does the ingore thing do? I want to see the post because they are good sometimes. Sometimes lol
once someone is on ignore, you cannot see their posts, but you can see that they did make a post. You can temporarily lift the Ignore to see a selective post, but I don’t do it. That would be defeating the purpose. If you decide to ignore someone, then ignore them. You are deciding that they have nothing to say that you are interested in. At least that’s how I see it. For me, it is absolute and final. Maybe they have something good to say once in a while. But to me, the aggravation of their typical behavior isn’t worth putting up with, and I seriously doubt this one person, in having the occasional nugget of quality, is the only source of such information. I’m not missing out on anything. They aren’t worth it. I will not take someone off Ignore, once I put them on. So I don’t do it lightly. I give them plenty of chances first. Then I just do it.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
The problem with the ignore function is that people respond and sometimes quote the person you are ignoring and so you either end up with responses, but not what they were responding to or seeing the post you're trying to ignore anyway.

As for Wing Chunners (and probably other TMAist) being "run off" by people like our friend here who trolls every Wing Chun thread, it is a real thing. I'm not super happy with the term or the idea of being "run off", because we're all martial artists and should be able to hold our own. But engaging with internet trolls is a waste of time at best and is actually just a bad thing to have in your life at worst.

I would love to have an internet forum in which I could discuss and debate the systems that I train in with other people who train or are interested in them. I am interested in systems that I don't train in and people who don't train like me, so I don't need for it to be exclusive, but I don't troll other systems' fora. In other words, I don't go into a TKD discuss and bash on TKD. I either read it or I don't, but I leave the discussion to practitioners of that art.

There is a group of people here who look for new threads on Wing Chun and then come in and bash Wing Chun or start propping up whatever style or system they train in. There are even people (usually on the younger side) who don't have experience in ANY system, but they read about martial arts and then come in and say things like "the vertical punch doesn't make any sense, if it worked it would be used in MMA."

So, maybe "disengage" would be more accurate than "run off". TMAs are passed on from teachers to students and generations to generation in person, not on-line. I don't need this forum, but I do get some value from it. The noise created by these trolls puts a price on that value and frequently, it makes me feel like the cost is too high for the value, so I disengage and focus instead on my training and my student's training. For this to be a really great resource for people like me, it would need to be moderated differently. No criticism intended, it's a tough job and mods are usually volunteers. They have jobs and lives too and dealing with trolls is not fun for them either, but in the end, the trolls are the loudest voices in the room and whatever validation their fragile egos get from tearing down things that they don't understand is more important to them than participation in a web forum is for people like me.
Can i get an amen ? Perfect response

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very true, and it does result in some oddly disjointed threads, where I see only one side of the discussion. Like this thread. :)

I’m ok with it.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
once someone is on ignore, you cannot see their posts, but you can see that they did make a post. You can temporarily lift the Ignore to see a selective post, but I don’t do it. That would be defeating the purpose. If you decide to ignore someone, then ignore them. You are deciding that they have nothing to say that you are interested in. At least that’s how I see it. For me, it is absolute and final. Maybe they have something good to say once in a while. But to me, the aggravation of their typical behavior isn’t worth putting up with, and I seriously doubt this one person, in having the occasional nugget of quality, is the only source of such information. I’m not missing out on anything. They aren’t worth it. I will not take someone off Ignore, once I put them on. So I don’t do it lightly. I give them plenty of chances first. Then I just do it.
I'll bear this is mind. But the problem would still remain of them derailing conversation. Unless we all has a group block them. Which I don't hate that idea

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll bear this is mind. But the problem would still remain of them derailing conversation. Unless we all has a group block them. Which I don't hate that idea
Yes, individuals ignoring them won’t stop them, when other people continue to engage. A group effort would be more effective.

But in the meantime, you don’t need to put up with the aggravation that they represent, even when you can tell from the rest of the tread they are still trying to do their trolling. On a personal level for yourself, you decide who is worth engaging with. Shrug it off, move on.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, individuals ignoring them won’t stop them, when other people continue to engage. A group effort would be more effective.

But in the meantime, you don’t need to put up with the aggravation that they represent, even when you can tell from the rest of the tread they are still trying to do their trolling. On a personal level for yourself, you decide who is worth engaging with. Shrug it off, move on.
Very solid advice. Thank you. I'm more hoping to stir up the community with this thread. It's time to make this forum active again. And to do that we might have to do some ignoring as a group .

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very solid advice. Thank you. I'm more hoping to stir up the community with this thread. It's time to make this forum active again. And to do that we might have to do some ignoring as a group .
By all means. It’s been my opinion that the forums would be better if a few certain folks went away. I can only make decisions for myself, but I support your position.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Questions for some of you non chunners out there. Why are you on this forum? Not meaning this is a rude way. Just a sincere question. While some of you seem to actually want to help the threads by giving a new insight from a different prospective. Some of you seem to just want to disrupt the discussion.

I like to read threads, hear other people's thoughts. Although I've trained with some chunners and Jeet guys over the years, neither is my primary Art. Heck, I can get all I want of my primary Art quite easily.

I like to read all the threads, they're usually interesting. Sometimes even enjoyable.

What I do find odd sometimes, is the amount of heated arguments that take place. Not in any particular thread or about any particular Art, but just in general. I feel people take bait far too easily. Would people be so easily goaded into physical confrontation outside of a forum just because they didn't like what was said to them? Or if they were insulted by someone they didn't even know? Hopefully, Martial Arts teaches people better than that.

I have about a hundred hours of Wing Chun under my belt. But that's over a span of almost fifty years. That's about two hours a year. Certainly not enough for me to comment on it, but enough for me to read other people's thoughts about it.

Anyway, that's why I'll read any thread, why I'm on the forum in the first place.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Questions for some of you non chunners out there. Why are you on this forum? Not meaning this is a rude way. Just a sincere question. While some of you seem to actually want to help the threads by giving a new insight from a different prospective. Some of you seem to just want to disrupt the discussion.
I enjoy seeing how style affects view. Someone with a different primary style tends asto have a different thought process, especially if it is their only style exposure.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the simple answer is coz i want to

that generaly all the justification i need to to do anything i want to, as long as that stays with in the bounds of the law. obs

why are you here? does it have any deeper reason other than to provided me with mild amusment?
It was a reasonable question for intellectual curiosity. Why do you have to respond to it as an attack?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm here to talk with other WC people about WC.
I just don't understand being so bored in life that you best form of amusement comes from getting on a forum just to troll people with typos
That's a different thing. Jobo's interference has nothing to do with whether he's WC or not. He just likes to stir things up, often when he could actually contribute, but prefers to disrupt. Senseless, but irrespective of style. We've had chunners here in the past who were no better.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a reasonable question for intellectual curiosity. Why do you have to respond to it as an attack?
its not an attack, he is a pompous buffoon, im mere drawing amusement from his pompous buffoonary, i am insome ways greatful to him for the mild amusment he provides and thought id point this out

and before you call this an attack, youve said far worse to me with impunity

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not an attack, he is a pompous buffoon, im mere drawing amusement from his pompous buffoonary, i am insome ways greatful to him for the mild amusment he provides and thought id point this out

You are ridiculous.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score

Jobo.... does this mean we're not friends anymore?

Latest Discussions