Non-thai Muay?

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that there are styles of muay that are not Siamese in their origin. Such as Lethwei- originating in Burma, Pradal Serey- originating in Cambodia. There is also evidence of Boran in Loas as well.

Anyone have any knowledge of these other Southeastern Arts? I'm curious to know what the differences are between the arts. Here's some quick info from wikipedia...

Burma
Lethwei or Lethawae also known as Burmese Boxing and Myanma Traditional Boxing is a form of kickboxing originated from Myanmar. Lethwei is in many ways similar to its sibling Muay Thai from neighboring Thailand. If Thai Boxing is the science of 8 limbs then Lethwei is the science of 9 limbs due to the allowance of head butts. In comparison, Lethwei is bolder and more extreme. There are records recording Lethwei style matches dating back to the Pyu empire in Burma. Ancient Myanmar army successfully used Lethwei, Bando and it's armed sibling Banshay in many winning wars against neighboring countries.

Cambodia
Pradal Serey was developed in Cambodia around the 9th Century during the Angkor regime when the Khmer Empire dominated and controlled most of what is now Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. It was broadly used among the Cambodian military to protect the country from being invaded by its rival nations. The art is believed to be the fighting system of the Angkor army and one of the reasons why the Khmer empire was such a dominant force in South East Asia. The Art of Pradal Serey is a very brutal and rigorous art-form which incorporates every single part of the human body including: the hands, legs, elbows, knees and feet. It has been praciticed and passed down from generation to generation. Pradal means fight and serey means free. Translated literally, it means "Free Fighting".

OP
Thunder Foot

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
oops, sorry for the somewhat repeat thread, I didn't take notice to the Lethwei thread. We shall post in there!! and delete this please.

Latest Discussions