Non-martial training in martial arts

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll disagree with the "in general" part, and agree with the "in particular" part. There's a lot of areas of MA where there's not much cultishness to be found - no more than in any social group. I don't know if that would be the majority of it, but certainly a large portion.
i think a lot of it comes from trying to superimposes aspects of Japanese culture and not modern Japanese culture at that, in to a western setting, bowing, siring and lots of tradition is by our standards cultish. If the same behaviour patterns were required at say a bowling team you joined, you were required to bow to the alley and shout sir every time the team captain spoke, i think even you might find that odd

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think a lot of it comes from trying to superimposes aspects of Japanese culture and not modern Japanese culture at that, in to a western setting, bowing, siring and lots of tradition is by our standards cultish. If the same behaviour patterns were required at say a bowling team you joined, you were required to bow to the alley and shout sir every time the team captain spoke, i think even you might find that odd
It's ritualistic, but that doesn't rise to the definition of cultish - but you make a reasonable point. There are rituals in many sports groups that are odd to outsiders. Even more in other cross-cultural pursuits. Mind you, even those things don't permeate all of MA - that's the reason I disagreed on the generality.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's ritualistic, but that doesn't rise to the definition of cultish - but you make a reasonable point. There are rituals in many sports groups that are odd to outsiders. Even more in other cross-cultural pursuits. Mind you, even those things don't permeate all of MA - that's the reason I disagreed on the generality.
it can quickly become a cult of personality were the,sensie must be obeyed,
.my group is quite laid back on such things, which is why i attend. People wander in and out as they see fit
but we had a visiting instructor who saw it differently, she wanted straight lines and instant obedience and got really cross when i got bored and started doing gymnastics of a low beam, she barked twenty press ups as punishment for my indiscresion of packing the,drill in early, i just laughed at her and went back to doing back flips of the beam, i thought she was going to cry. I couldn't put up with a class like that for long

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can quickly become a cult of personality were the,sensie must be obeyed,
.my group is quite laid back on such things, which is why i attend. People wander in and out as they see fit
but we had a visiting instructor who saw it differently, she wanted straight lines and instant obedience and got really cross when i got bored and started doing gymnastics of a low beam, she barked twenty press ups as punishment for my indiscresion of packing the,drill in early, i just laughed at her and went back to doing back flips of the beam, i thought she was going to cry. I couldn't put up with a class like that for long
There are reasons for staying with the group in exercises. If you're not interested in working with the group, you should take private lessons. But that's my view. If your instructor is okay with you screwing around during class, you've found the right home.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well to be fair you were recommending it to the guy above, though you have absolutely no idea what the cause of his tight muscles may be. Then you follow that up by appeal to a higher aurthority, ie heart surgeons recommend it, so it must b good, whilst failing to mention that doctors might recommend golf or net ball in equal amounts, you have no idea

.... Yeah AngryHobbit was just recommending something from yoga, I don't think she was saying it'll cure all things... I appreciate the suggestion... :S

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Um... no... Yoga is anything but new age hockum - that is a very rude and ignorant thing to say. Before you berate it, I suggest you try it as well as do some research. I've been taking yoga for three years now, and have never been exposed to any "semi-mystical nonsense". I do own a mat - because I prefer to use my own, instead of using the worn-out mats at YMCA. Also, because my knees hurt, my mat is a tiny bit thicker, reducing the pain and allowing to make my yoga practice more productive. My yoga instructor is a former competitive athlete, a marathon runner, who was directed to yoga by her cardiologist to help alleviate a rare heart condition she had. She is now in amazing health, she no longer has to take medication for her heart (initially, the condition was believed to be of the kind to require medication for the rest of her life), and does mountain biking on weekends for fun.

Here is American Heart Association's scoop on yoga: Yoga and Heart Health. There are also numerous articles by orthopedic surgeons who routinely recommend yoga to people recovering from serious injuries and surgeries. Do you honestly think cardiologists and orthopeds - scientists who spent many years studying everything there is to know about how human body functions - would recommend what you call "new age hockum"?

Yoga is hard work and can be tremendously beneficial. It's not uncommon for me to sweat as much in my yoga classes as I do in high-intensity cardio. And the amount of muscle building is comparable to that of a decent weight-lifting session. The class I normally attend includes gymnasts, professional dancers, weight lifters, and at least one football player. Many folks in the group joined just to try it and made it a part of their fitness routine. And many were directed to yoga by their doctors and coaches.

Not exactly sure which poster is calling Yoga new age hockum, I have a couple posters in ignore here on MT, but if one take the time to look at the medical/pschological POV, based on study, you will see it is not

Yoga for anxiety and depression - Harvard Health

Yoga – Benefits Beyond the Mat - Harvard Health

Yoga Has Potent Health Benefits - Psychology Today

The Benefits of Yoga - Osteopathic.org

Yoga’s Benefits from Head to Toe - John Hopkins medicine

Yoga: Benefits, Intensity Level, and More - WebMD

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not exactly sure which poster is calling Yoga new age hockum, I have a couple posters in ignore here on MT, but if one take the time to look at the medical/pschological POV, based on study, you will see it is not

i can't see the point of entering a discussion when you have the person you are disagreeing with on ignore??

but any way as a general question, i do polarties and mindfulness, some times together, usual separately, in what way would my mental and physical health be improved if i ditched them and did yoga instead?

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's Jobo. I ignored him too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't see the point of entering a discussion when you have the person you are disagreeing with on ignore??

but any way as a general question, i do polarties and mindfulness, some times together, usual separately, in what way would my mental and physical health be improved if i ditched them and did yoga instead?
I assume you meant pilates. I expect combining that with mindfulness gets some of the same benefits as yoga. I've not read the research on some of the more wide-ranging findings of yoga's benefits, so I don't know what they're attributed to. If any of them are attributed to the slower movements, held poses, and inversions, those are not typical in pilates. It depends what part of yoga is bringing which benefits.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assume you meant pilates. I expect combining that with mindfulness gets some of the same benefits as yoga. I've not read the research on some of the more wide-ranging findings of yoga's benefits, so I don't know what they're attributed to. If any of them are attributed to the slower movements, held poses, and inversions, those are not typical in pilates. It depends what part of yoga is bringing which benefits.
yes Pilates, the spell check wouldn't put it up.

well people n general keep making health benefit claims for yoga, it really needs them to assess their evidence and state that yoga is better than other exercise. Because.........

or, as i suspect, its much the same in general terms as any other exercise and obviously inferior in many important area of physical development to other less Magical mystery xcersis

nb Pilates has a significant proportion of slow movement and holds, as do a lot of body weight onxcersises, it is very much like yoga,apart from the,chanting and joss sticks and enlightenment

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are reasons for staying with the group in exercises. If you're not interested in working with the group, you should take private lessons. But that's my view. If your instructor is okay with you screwing around during class, you've found the right home.
its less what i was doing,vso much as she thought my not obeying her instruction was worthy of punishment and even more that she thought i would subject myself to the humiliation of punishment by following her instruction to punish my self.

clearly her expectations were based on the amount of cult status she has with her normal group

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Late to the party, but I'd like to comment on the very first post, and the reference to sport fencers, who I find quite inspirational in their dedication to excellence. One reason elite sport fencers are able to do what they do is they are encouraged to see themselves as athletes first, and fencers second. In their own way, they work as hard as wrestlers do. Their athleticism is the foundation of their art, combined with the most advanced pedagogy of any sport on the planet. Their training involves all kinds of conditioning, reflex games, and the like. The more athletic you are, the better your martial performance will become. So yes, non martial training has a huge impact on one's performance as a martial artist.

To add a few quotes, the first from what may be the oldest manuscript in the Liechtenauer tradition:

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -HS. 3227a

"The athletes are coming" -Joe Rogan

Perfectly relevant to the first post:

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" -Confucius

Full disclosure: I don't dance. Nobody's perfect. ;)

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -HS. 3227a

You know... that reminds me of what Polish composer and musical educator Elsner used to say, "There are two kinds of people who forego the rules - those who don't know them at all and those who know them exceptionally well." And added, to his student Frederic Chopin, "I have a feeling you forego them because you know them well." :)

Full disclosure: I don't dance. Nobody's perfect. ;)

The last best line in Some Like It Hot. So, who are we to argue. :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
its less what i was doing,vso much as she thought my not obeying her instruction was worthy of punishment and even more that she thought i would subject myself to the humiliation of punishment by following her instruction to punish my self.

clearly her expectations were based on the amount of cult status she has with her normal group
Or you just can't do push ups lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes Pilates, the spell check wouldn't put it up.

well people n general keep making health benefit claims for yoga, it really needs them to assess their evidence and state that yoga is better than other exercise. Because.........

or, as i suspect, its much the same in general terms as any other exercise and obviously inferior in many important area of physical development to other less Magical mystery xcersis

nb Pilates has a significant proportion of slow movement and holds, as do a lot of body weight onxcersises, it is very much like yoga,apart from the,chanting and joss sticks and enlightenment
Making a health claim for yoga isn't an assertion that it's better than something else. I like yoga for helping loosen up my hips. I could do that with stretching, too, but that doesn't change the fact that yoga works.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's not really a function of cult status. It's a function of organizational culture. If folks choose to submit to a strict order of control during classes because it suits them, that's not inherently cultish. Just as in the right organizational culture, your shenanigans aren't disruptive. In every class I've ever been in (or taught) they would be. That would make that class a bad fit for you, and vice versa - bad culture fit.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not really a function of cult status. It's a function of organizational culture. If folks choose to submit to a strict order of control during classes because it suits them, that's not inherently cultish. Just as in the right organizational culture, your shenanigans aren't disruptive. In every class I've ever been in (or taught) they would be. That would make that class a bad fit for you, and vice versa - bad culture fit.
it most certainly is, its just a,question of degree,any CULTure that requires unquestioning obedience and requires you to punish yourself for not obeying the dictated of the leader, most certainly has elements of a cult about it. And that was my opening point, not that they are cults, just that they are getting that way.
like most cult members you have trouble recognising it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Making a health claim for yoga isn't an assertion that it's better than something else. I like yoga for helping loosen up my hips. I could do that with stretching, too, but that doesn't change the fact that yoga works.
its not your point im disputing, its not you posting multiple links claim multiple health benefits for yoga.

and I've never claim yoga doesn't have health benefits, my point is that its over hyped and has no more benefits than most other forms of exercises , different benefits perhaps, but not more or superior benefits. Certainly in like for like it is not in anyway better than Pilates . It's just that Pilates doesn't have new aged mysticism wrapped up in it.

if people wish to show that yoga n has health benefits greater than other forms of exercise, then they need to show that, or except that it's just another exercise no better than many others

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it most certainly is, its just a,question of degree,any CULTure that requires unquestioning obedience and requires you to punish yourself for not obeying the dictated of the leader, most certainly has elements of a cult about it. And that was my opening point, not that they are cults, just that they are getting that way.
like most cult members you have trouble recognising it
Who said anything about "unquestioning"? If someone asked my early instructors why they used push-ups when people didn't follow instructions, they'd be able to supply a reason. And if people asked why a drill was being assigned, they'd have an answer to that, too. Push-ups to encourage coordinated effort among the group doesn't even imply "unquestioning obedience".