No Pain?

M

Master of Blades

Was just reading the pain control thread and thought of this. Okay heres the deal........If you had a chance to have an operation that takes away the feeling of pain would you do it? :confused:

Me personally I wouldnt.........It just has too many bad points. What if you are fighting and you get hit quite badly.....You try lifting your arm only to find its broken and your in trouble! Also I can take a lot of pain.......and apparently if The body feels that the pain is bad enough you wont feel it. So.....no I dont think I would at all :asian:

As they say........"No pain.....No Gain" :asian:

OP
M

Mon Mon

I wouldn't because pain is a part of our Body like you said. I might get an operation to take away pain to be a tough guy for the ladies though:D

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pain is a message in yourself. You choose how to react to it.
Pain control for me isn't a question about ignoring pain, but defining how to react to it.

So to your question about operating it away... no. It's normal part of me.

/Yari

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
saw on discovery channel:

guy messed up nerves in his hand and doesn't have feeling in little finger... still has movement, but no feeling. he was badly burned because he'd set the side of his hand on an electric stove burner, and didn't realize it until he smelled burning flesh. By then, the burns were so bad that he needed a burn center and skin grafts.

so no, I would never have an operation to remove the feeling of pain. pain can be a good thing, it just depends on how you interpret it.

OP
D

Despairbear

There is actualy a condition where people loose their pain responce. The name escapes me for the moment but any way theise people are increadably prone to infection. The get an injury some where and are unaware of it they do not protect it infection starts which they con not feel and eventualy they need drastic treatment. Think about the last time you cut your hand and all the things you do to not get it hit or what not. Band-aids, using your hands diffrently untill it is healed, keeping it out of the water and soap when you shower, etc. Now if you have no pain responce imagine how long it would take a simple cut finger to heal.

Despair Bear

OP
S

sweeper

yeah if pain is so bad that it can control my responce than I'm being hurt is some major way, like something is tearing.. I think if you had no pain responce you would get hurt realy bad in practice alot and ultimately it would reduce your ability.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they had a way to turn it On/Off...

OW OW OW I hurt my hand, But the pain is gone cuz I turned it off...

Oh wait... thats called Tylenol.

LOL

Zeal

White Belt
Reaction score
Pain just means that either you are progressing or you made a mistake. Either way it is good to have some sort of checkpoint for yourself while training.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pain is your body's way of telling you to stop.

The "no-pain, no-gain" theory was originally a different concept - it meant that there were no shortcuts to success, specifically in body building, that a hard workout was necessary to get the desired results, rather than using methods other than serious training. It came to mean that no workout was effective unless you felt significant pain - especially among those who used the tagline without really understanding where it came from.

If you are feeling real pain, the you are doing yourself harm. I don't mean the mild pain of stretching farther than you've gone in the past, or the ache of fatigue - I mean the ripping pain of injury. Some type of pain (or at least discomfort) will generally occur when you exceed your limits - that's how you improve. But more than that is not in your best interest - it means you've injured yourself, and you had best stop until some healing has occurred.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I amy not like to be in pain but I know that the pain is telling me something is wrong.
About the only way I would want not to feel pain is if I was dying and the pain was a constant that took all little pleasures away that i might have left. At th time I might wish to have the pain removed so I could spend some moments at peace before I passed away

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is called Familial dysautonomia or Riley day syndrome
As to the question of removing the ability to feel pain well than you will not be able to feel pleasure as well.

As the S&M people would say one person's pleasure is another's pain :highfive:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with most here. Losing the ability to feel pain can be counterproductive.

But... ask me when I am first getting up in the morning and the answer may be different.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is actualy a condition where people loose their pain responce. The name escapes me for the moment but any way theise people are increadably prone to infection. The get an injury some where and are unaware of it they do not protect it infection starts which they con not feel and eventualy they need drastic treatment. Think about the last time you cut your hand and all the things you do to not get it hit or what not. Band-aids, using your hands diffrently untill it is healed, keeping it out of the water and soap when you shower, etc. Now if you have no pain responce imagine how long it would take a simple cut finger to heal.

Despair Bear

It is called Familial dysautonomia or Riley day syndrome
As to the question of removing the ability to feel pain well than you will not be able to feel pleasure as well.

As the S&M people would say one person's pleasure is another's pain :highfive:

Another illness that causes the inability to feel pain (or anything else) is Hanson's disease, more commonly referred to as leprosy. As the nerve endings die, the loss of sensation in the affected areas causes sufferers to not feel, and thus not treat, injuries, which then become much more likely to become infected; as the disease progresses, the nerve damage it causes can affect limb function, and tubercular nodules (large, lumpy skin lesions) can also form.

I'll retain the ability to feel pain, thanks anyway - the alternatives are not pleasant, and generally are not transitory, either, as pain is.

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what channel it was on, but I remember watching a show that featured a little girl that was born not being able to sense pain. She always had to wear mittens to keep from scratching her eyes up. Throughout the day, her parents had to check her body for injuries--scrapes, cuts, bruises, burns, breaks, rashes, even had to look for redness in the throat, etc. He doctor visits were very frequent so as to check for things that pain would normally signal. After seeing that show, my answer is "no" I would not want to have my pain sensors shut off.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what channel it was on, but I remember watching a show that featured a little girl that was born not being able to sense pain. She always had to wear mittens to keep from scratching her eyes up. Throughout the day, her parents had to check her body for injuries--scrapes, cuts, bruises, burns, breaks, rashes, even had to look for redness in the throat, etc. He doctor visits were very frequent so as to check for things that pain would normally signal. After seeing that show, my answer is "no" I would not want to have my pain sensors shut off.
Now that you mention it, I remember that too - I looked it up, and it's called congenital analgia, or congenital absence of pain. It doesn't sound like the side effects are pleasant at all.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was just reading the pain control thread and thought of this. Okay heres the deal........If you had a chance to have an operation that takes away the feeling of pain would you do it? :confused:

Me personally I wouldnt.........It just has too many bad points. What if you are fighting and you get hit quite badly.....You try lifting your arm only to find its broken and your in trouble! Also I can take a lot of pain.......and apparently if The body feels that the pain is bad enough you wont feel it. So.....no I dont think I would at all :asian:

As they say........"No pain.....No Gain" :asian:

No I would not. And not because of the broken arm example. I have broken my arm and was in the process of getting while on roller skates to go hurt the guy who knocked me down on purpose by sliding into me. Others stopped me from going to far. I was in shock and did not feel pain.