Nightline story on MMA

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They did a story on teaching MMA to kids. Some as young as 6.

What do you think of teaching MMA to kids?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did a story on teaching MMA to kids. Some as young as 6.

What do you think of teaching MMA to kids?

It's no different from teaching them Judo and karate/TKD/TSD etc , it's just martial arts. They learn techniques appropriate to their age.
The question that should cause concern though is whether these children are competing in full rules MMA which they shouldn't be. However nothing wrong in them competing as many thousands of other children do in grappling/wrestling/stand up sparring comps.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they showed two 8 year olds free sparring, one had the other in a standing bar choke and was cranking it pretty good.

thats pretty serious risk of injury to a still developing body.

I agree that it is prob no more dangerous than football, or wrestling, but i am just un-easy with the idea.

Tell me something Tez,
would you teach a full MMA system to kids? or would you modify it for safety reasons?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
would you teach a full MMA system to kids? or would you modify it for safety reasons?

Yes, obviously more dangerous things are going to get omitted, but that happens with adults as well, at least until they have a lot of experience.

Would I allow them to spar or compete under full MMA rules, No.

Training is very different from professional fights, or at least it should be. If they are training the kids as if they where pro fighters, or having them spar in that way then they are doing something unsafe.

But there is nothing in MMA that isn't in other sports and martial arts that is considered perfectly acceptable for kids to be doing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they showed two 8 year olds free sparring, one had the other in a standing bar choke and was cranking it pretty good.

I agree that it is prob no more dangerous than football, or wrestling, but i am just un-easy with the idea.

Tell me something Tez,

We teach children from 7 upwards Judo, BJJ, TSD and MT separately but with the intention from the age of about 14 to combine it into MMA. This suits the children we teach as most are "service brats" so a wide range of martial arts suits them as when they move on they can find a club where they've done something before.
The most important thing we teach them and I do believe this goes for any technique in any style is not to 'crank' things on. I agree with you that watching children doing dangerous techniques full on is very wrong. Our kids can do arms bars, ankle and leg locks, even some chokes but they know it is only put on lightly. This rule is also enforced in all the grappling comps for children here.
There's nothing really in a full MMA system that can't be taught to children as long as nothing is done full on, there's no moves or techniques in MMA that aren't found in any other martial art that children do. We don't teach the adults any differently to be honest, you don't learn or drill techniques full on, the same rules apply in training, put the move on slowly and just until you feel it slightly.
Obviously all 'rules' for teaching children martial arts are applicable in MMA too. Stand up sparring is done padded up and watching them grapple on the floor is a joy, it comes very naturally to them. ( I came late to floorwork and I struggle with not being very supple)
We are planning on having competitions for children in MMA with rules from BJJ where you get points for techniques and scoring hits, no headshots at all nor certain moves like neck cranks (many adults comps won't allow them either) no elbows ( I was taught elbow strikes in Wado Ryu so it's not confined to MT or MMA), the emphasis will be on fun and friendly competition too.
I've seen children sparring in karate comps where things got intense and children hurt so am anxious to avoid that, I think I'll get some big pro MMA fighters as refs to stop pushy and argumentative parents rofl!
I think commonsense must rule whenever and whatever you teach children.
Did you see the thread a while back about the British documentary about 'baby' MT fighters, that was scary.

Last edited:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching kids? Like anything, just keep it age-appropriate. They can BJJ to their hearts' content, and pound on grappling dummies and B.O.B.s.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like the idea of my kids getting hit in the head. I understand that a lot of people don't have this same reservation, as they allow their kids to train in many other martial arts that involve frequent blows to the noggin. But that's just me. I think that the safest martial arts for kids would be grappling arts, like Judo, BJJ and wrestling. Of course, any contact sport involves some degree of risk. I'm much more comfortable with my daughter training BJJ than I would if she chose any striking art, be it TKD, Karate or Muay Thai.

This is why kids soccer leagues often bar children from using their heads. If my daughter wants to supplement her grappling with some kind of striking, great... when she's 16. :) But this is my own rules for my own daughter.

I want to be clear that this is only my own opinion. I'm, admittedly, an overprotective dad. I understand that many people don't share my concerns, as many (most) of you train in and even instruct children in striking arts. In this regard, the MMA classes wouldn't really be any more dangerous than what you guys teach. It's punching, kicking, clinching and grappling.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like the idea of my kids getting hit in the head. I understand that a lot of people don't have this same reservation, as they allow their kids to train in many other martial arts that involve frequent blows to the noggin. But that's just me. I think that the safest martial arts for kids would be grappling arts, like Judo, BJJ and wrestling. Of course, any contact sport involves some degree of risk. I'm much more comfortable with my daughter training BJJ than I would if she chose any striking art, be it TKD, Karate or Muay Thai.

This is why kids soccer leagues often bar children from using their heads. If my daughter wants to supplement her grappling with some kind of striking, great... when she's 16. :) But this is my own rules for my own daughter.

I want to be clear that this is only my own opinion. I'm, admittedly, an overprotective dad. I understand that many people don't share my concerns, as many (most) of you train in and even instruct children in striking arts. In this regard, the MMA classes wouldn't really be any more dangerous than what you guys teach. It's punching, kicking, clinching and grappling.

I don't like children taking head shots either, we won't allow headshots on our MMA shows until they are 16 and then only standing ( semi pro rules) When they are 18 they can do full MMA rules. We've have a few 14/15 year olds who fight MMA in this country but only as amateurs against lads their own age, no one younger than that. They are very promising fighters with good coaches who aren't in a hurry to see them fight pro rules.
In TKD and karate comps I've seen children be almost KOd by headshots despite wearing headguards and these were as young as 7.
We don't allow the children to spar full on whatever they are doing.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is it that when someone says "kids learning MMA" the first assumption that many people have (not saying that's the case here, just other times it has been brought up) is this big play pen and the kids are going all out beating on each other like in a regular MMA match?

You have eye gouges and spearhands to the throat in TMA's yet you don't teach those to kids. Kids learn grappling, locks and throws in Judo before BJJ hit the scene. TKD and other striking arts have limited contact and point tournaments for kids as well. Also, young boys across the nation have been learning boxing in gyms and rec centers for years.

Like everything it is going to be modified for the appropriate audience. I don't see anything wrong with teaching MMA to kids. It will also teach them self-discipline, focus and good sportsmanship just like other sports if taught properly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why is it that when someone says "kids learning MMA" the first assumption that many people have (not saying that's the case here, just other times it has been brought up) is this big play pen and the kids are going all out beating on each other like in a regular MMA match?

You have eye gouges and spearhands to the throat in TMA's yet you don't teach those to kids. Kids learn grappling, locks and throws in Judo before BJJ hit the scene. TKD and other striking arts have limited contact and point tournaments for kids as well. Also, young boys across the nation have been learning boxing in gyms and rec centers for years.

Like everything it is going to be modified for the appropriate audience. I don't see anything wrong with teaching MMA to kids. It will also teach them self-discipline, focus and good sportsmanship just like other sports if taught properly.
I think this is a common misconception, largely a result of media and the Spectacle/Pro Wrestling marketing being done. Companies like Tapout, the trash talking, the tattoos and blood undermine the technical prowess of the athletes. Guys like Kimbo are a side show and don't help the image of the sport. So, when you talk about kids and MMA, it's reasonable (if, granted, unfounded) for an uneducated person to think immediately about the image of MMA that they are familiar with: bloody, violent and closely associated with no holds barred, backyard fighting.

While I wouldn't want my kids to train in striking until they're older, there's nothing wrong with kids in MMA. There IS a problem with MMA's image and until that's addressed, stories and unfounded negative press will continue to be an issue.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I woudl have no problem with it as long as they are disciplined in it, and understand that its place is only in the ring, or in defending oneself. Personally I would recommend they go with something that is a little more structured. It would mainly depend on the child's interests as well.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is a common misconception, largely a result of media and the Spectacle/Pro Wrestling marketing being done. Companies like Tapout, the trash talking, the tattoos and blood undermine the technical prowess of the athletes. Guys like Kimbo are a side show and don't help the image of the sport. So, when you talk about kids and MMA, it's reasonable (if, granted, unfounded) for an uneducated person to think immediately about the image of MMA that they are familiar with: bloody, violent and closely associated with no holds barred, backyard fighting.

While I wouldn't want my kids to train in striking until they're older, there's nothing wrong with kids in MMA. There IS a problem with MMA's image and until that's addressed, stories and unfounded negative press will continue to be an issue.
Trash talking. When I first got interested in watching MMA one of the first things that really impressed me was that no matter who won you always saw handshakes and a "manly" hug after the match. More and more I'm seeing guys get pissed off after getting tapped out or losing a decision and acting like children. While I have seen pro MMA cleaned up a great deal since the early days of the UFC I'm also disturbed at this new trend toward childishness after a bout. It's definetly playing into the misconception that many have regarding MMA.

Tez, the biggest thing that hit me in your previous post was that
commonsense must rule whenever and whatever you teach children.
Unfortunately common sense seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird for far too many people.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Children do not belong in MMA imo. It's more of an ego trip for the adults anyway. Irresponsible troglodytes......

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I woudl have no problem with it as long as they are disciplined in it, and understand that its place is only in the ring, or in defending oneself. Personally I would recommend they go with something that is a little more structured. It would mainly depend on the child's interests as well.
You're presuming that MMA instruction would be unstructured? Huh.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Children do not belong in MMA imo. It's more of an ego trip for the adults anyway. Irresponsible troglodytes......

............then children do not belong in martial arts at all.

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Perhaps the reason you're still uneasy with the idea is that elementary school sports aren't combat oriented, and they provide things like shoulder pads and helmets, etc., to prevent neck/other serious injuries.

Full contact combat-oriented training is something completely different though. A tackle in football is a bit safer than a standing bar choke.

Note, I'm agreeing with you haha