Nice Variation of the Triangle Defense!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks interesting but how effective is it with somebody fighting back with force I wonder.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks interesting but how effective is it with somebody fighting back with force I wonder.

Well good Triangle Defenses start with a frame. If you have a good frame with your head up you should not be Triangled. This one if you are flexible should work.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to give that a go, I did notice though that the guy in guard had not pulled the other guys arm under his neck, so the triangle wasnt locked in....but alsa i'll give that a go, im always up for trying new things.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to give that a go, I did notice though that the guy in guard had not pulled the other guys arm under his neck, so the triangle wasnt locked in....but alsa i'll give that a go, im always up for trying new things.

This is a good keen observation because the lack of arm control is what allows the technique to work. Good arm control would make the frame very difficult although not impossible.
icon14.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting technique, but I got some doubts about it. He hovers there for a second to set his balance to take the hook, bottom guy should be repositioning and probably switching to a arm bar. Seems like the bottom guy forgot he had arms to be honest, I think he'd be better popping the legs off that and passing guard, rather then staying in a near triangle.

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nice idea. I will definitely give it a try. However, in a front Sankaku Jime, the arm is usually pulled quite tight. If your arm is free from the start, you should probably not lean forward into the Sankaku Jime (triangle). Better to posture up in a strong base.

Mikey Triangles

White Belt
Reaction score

Notice how I grip my hands tight around the leg and drive my forearm into the hips; that's the first step for this defense. If you grip correctly it's very difficult for him to get your arm across the neck.

FTR, there is going to be a better more detailed video of this in a few weeks, but this board seems to get it from site better then most of the others even though the camera angles aren't that great and the video was poorly made.

Latest Discussions