News: Teen with sword flushes escaped prisoner out

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
S

ShaolinWolf

Both of those are pretty cool articles. Not everyday you hear about anybody in America using a full sword against a criminal. Cool. And the Bailey family sounds pretty interesting too. I wish my Family would get into Martial Arts, but none of them want bruises, or to get into shape. I'm the only person out of all the relatives I hear about that takes MA(And I only really have 3-4 family members that I am really close to, the rest I hardly even know, but who I do hear about...) Well, I just have one thing to add: THAT IS SO COOL!!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is cool that they all do it, though I wonder a bit about the black belts at such early ages.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Thanks for posting the articles. They were an interesting read.

I too wonder about black belt promotions at an early age.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

arnisador said:
It is cool that they all do it, though I wonder a bit about the black belts at such early ages.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One black belt at 10, maybe.

TWO at 10? Wow. I don't know how difficult it is to get BBs in either of these arts but still, one would think it would take longer than 3 years in Karate at the Junior level (started at 5 and awarded at 8). It doesn't say when he started Iaido so we don't know how long that took. :idunno:

C

Chicago Green Dragon

True.

I guess i never put a time limit on a belt. I just wonder if the age is appropriate for rank of black. I got my first black at 13 in TKD and it wasnt easy at that age. So I wonder what they had to do at 10.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

jkn75 said:
One black belt at 10, maybe.

TWO at 10? Wow. I don't know how difficult it is to get BBs in either of these arts but still, one would think it would take longer than 3 years in Karate at the Junior level (started at 5 and awarded at 8). It doesn't say when he started Iaido so we don't know how long that took. :idunno:

S

ShaolinWolf

There HAS to be more to it...I think that's not fair unless there was something else they aren't telling us. Let's see: some guys come to your house with guns and intend to rob it...hmmm...Let's call the cops and maybe they will get here to save me in time or maybe they won't. In the mean time, I'll go into unarmed combat with 4 guys with guns. Hmmm...my sword is in the corner right behind me. That could even the odds. Naaaah. I want to make sure no one gets seriously injured. I'd rather be killed in my own house than kill another who plans to kill me.

HMMMM...Yeah...sure, like I'd really think that. Maybe the guy said something to the cops other than what he should have. " I was in fear of my life. Hey could have killed me with those guns." Yeah... But then again, the guys who got killed wasn't at the scene of the crime when he died. So, I guess they had credit to arrest the guys. If I stab someone intentionally to hurt them, I'm planning on killing them, not warning them. Especially in my own house. The law around here with the state is if you kill someone in your own house who is attacking you, you are fine. If you kill them out on your lawn or chase them down, even them falling out the door, you get arrested.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, you study traditional iaido and also do the standard iaido forms for watever org. you support. You get dan ranking in the generic iaido (ZNKR, say) and presumably menkyo in the traditional iaido system you "really" study.

C

Cobra

That is really cool to hear about people defending themselves with swords instead of dumb boring guns.

The story about the guy who was put in jail is totally unfair! He was defending himself. Those guys could of shot him.

There was once a case where a boy was by his neighbor when he came to get a ball. The man said at court "I was defending myself!" and he got out with no jail sentance at all. That bastard should of been put in jail, not the guy who defended himself against four armed men with a samorai sword.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/04/fingerprint_merc_chop/

A Malaysian businessman has lost a finger to car thieves impatient to get around his Mercedes' fingerprint security system. Accountant K Kumaran, the BBC reports, had at first been forced to start the S-class Merc, but when the carjackers wanted to start it again without having him along, they chopped off the end of his index finger with a machete.

Do a search on 'machete' at www.bbc.co.uk to see how many such attacks there are these days. It's scary!

Latest Discussions