newer types of footgear

lavender

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I happened upon a picture where two tkd people sparring had a different kind of footgear. I was only familiar with the dipped foam kind and the clothe-covered socky pull ons. The ones in the pic looked like the shoes with a separate space for each toe and it looked like they pull on like the sock type, but the coverage was closer to the dipped foam ones.

When did those come out? Is there a special name for them? I couldn't tell if the toes were totally covered, but the heel area wasn't. Does that effect the protectiveness of them? What companies sell them, and what companies should I avoid if I want to get some?

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you talking about these? I hyaven't seen them at my school, but I have at my gym. I have never used them. I don't like the feel of things between my toes. I won't even wear flip flops with the post between your big toe and the other toes.

I know newer versions won't keep the two littlest toes separated. I overheard a worker in a shoe store say that too many people were breaking their little toes , so they changed how they are made. This may just be in sue- happy California though.

I just googled "natural feet shoes" to find an image. They have been out a few years now.
vibram-shoes.jpg

OP
L

lavender

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kind of off-topic, but has anyone tried doing TKD in shoes like aaradia posted?

We do outdoor demos in the summer, and bare feet on mats that've been in the 90°F sun for a few hours is NOT fun, but we're not keen on traditional TKD shoes. But the point of those toe shoes, as I understand it, is that it's just like going barefoot only with more protection. So that might be a solution for us.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kind of off-topic, but has anyone tried doing TKD in shoes like aaradia posted?

We do outdoor demos in the summer, and bare feet on mats that've been in the 90°F sun for a few hours is NOT fun, but we're not keen on traditional TKD shoes. But the point of those toe shoes, as I understand it, is that it's just like going barefoot only with more protection. So that might be a solution for us.
I thought about getting a pair for practicing kendo outdoors. I'm somewhat hesitant to buy something that would have to fit more precisely than a regular shoe without first trying them on and haven't seen them in stores.

Latest Discussions