New Year for Tae Kwon Do

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just asking with a new year approching what would you like to see come to the forefront in TKD. I mean if you had the power to change somethng what would it be also.
Be specific in your answer please.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"If you had the power to change somethng what would it be"?

A giant step backwards into the original foundation of what TKD started out as...........A true martial art centered on self defense. :asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
"If you had the power to change somethng what would it be"?

A giant step backwards into the original foundation of what TKD started out as...........A true martial art centered on self defense. :asian:

Yeah, what he said:asian:

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's see the ITF and the WTF come together on something. That would be cool. :partyon:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everybody above stole my answers. I think any and all mentioned above would be for the better. Unfortunately, next year instead of asking the question again, you can just repost this thread, cause ain't none of it is gonna happen in '06. Shame *sigh*

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is something to the adage, "be the change that you want to see in the world" and it is the same with TKD. TKD changed from old style to present because...? Can it change back and would it be better if it did with more injuries and down time for healing, not to mention losing people who can't continue?

For me I would like more women to join so they realize their inner power. I think our club has about eight active women now out of some 10,000 or so in our town. But I continue to go to my class to teach even if no one comes, open the doors and hope that more have the courage to step through the front door. I advertise on my own dime, teach for free, but for the new year, I will strive to do more demos to women's groups.

So I ask the question what small part can you do, to be the change you want to see? TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Everybody above stole my answers. I think any and all mentioned above would be for the better. Unfortunately, next year instead of asking the question again, you can just repost this thread, cause ain't none of it is gonna happen in '06. Shame *sigh*[/quote

Gemini I do understand your comment but if those highness rulers would just talk to each other it could be done in a night. I agree that it will probaly never happen in my lifetime but maybe my son's.
terry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
"And there's no future in the past"

I was thinking of this before but something in the 'back kick' discussion triggered it in my mind.

There are certain things good from the past that it would be nice to see more of. Just this month I was watching more advanced stundents do poomsae and realized that there is a *lot* more techniquesin Taekwondo than it's usually given credit for if you onle see olympic style sparring or see form copmetition as just abstract movements. I think it would be good to remember that all those hand motions and foot motions and such are all about stopping an attacker and hurting them very badly in return.

However, with sports medcine and physiology having come a long way in the last few decades, I think there are some trainging styles that may not be so good . We've learned better in terms of stretching, conditioning, weght training, supplements and vitamins, healing and recovery.

Also in technique. I was amazed a few months ago watching something on Nova or something. They were showing some young black belts doing sidekicks and the put pressure sensor on the floor and a pad. and you could see based on a half foot twist versus a full foot twist there was significant difference in power, and hey could study the pressure sensor on the floor to show how weight distribusion through the twist made that happen. Pretty incredible. Takewondo, as an art, is so much based on applied physics that I believe it would be possible to study so many of our techniques like that. It was mentioned in the back kick thread about angles of the hips and muscles and generating power, or lack. I think today and going forward we can study that in a lot more detail and a lot more precision to come up with good answers on what makes the most powerful sidekick, roundhouse kick, whatever.

I think Taekwondo needs achance to pause and remember what it *is*, a fighting martial art, but then needs to move forward into the future in applying the principles and ideals and philosophies of that art in the most practical and effective manner

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
"And there's no future in the past"

I was thinking of this before but something in the 'back kick' discussion triggered it in my mind.

There are certain things good from the past that it would be nice to see more of. Just this month I was watching more advanced stundents do poomsae and realized that there is a *lot* more techniquesin Taekwondo than it's usually given credit for if you onle see olympic style sparring or see form copmetition as just abstract movements. I think it would be good to remember that all those hand motions and foot motions and such are all about stopping an attacker and hurting them very badly in return.

However, with sports medcine and physiology having come a long way in the last few decades, I think there are some trainging styles that may not be so good . We've learned better in terms of stretching, conditioning, weght training, supplements and vitamins, healing and recovery.

Also in technique. I was amazed a few months ago watching something on Nova or something. They were showing some young black belts doing sidekicks and the put pressure sensor on the floor and a pad. and you could see based on a half foot twist versus a full foot twist there was significant difference in power, and hey could study the pressure sensor on the floor to show how weight distribusion through the twist made that happen. Pretty incredible. Takewondo, as an art, is so much based on applied physics that I believe it would be possible to study so many of our techniques like that. It was mentioned in the back kick thread about angles of the hips and muscles and generating power, or lack. I think today and going forward we can study that in a lot more detail and a lot more precision to come up with good answers on what makes the most powerful sidekick, roundhouse kick, whatever.

I think Taekwondo needs achance to pause and remember what it *is*, a fighting martial art, but then needs to move forward into the future in applying the principles and ideals and philosophies of that art in the most practical and effective manner

excelent post Fearless, congrats.
Terry

Latest Discussions