New WT Sparring Rules

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So in essence it's really a training or procedural problem.

Largely true, yes.

If it's an identical sensor used for each location but simply calibrated for that location and desired level of impact - then you shouldn't get them in the wrong place...

I'm not positive about this, but I think age of the hogu and sensors plays a role too. A new hogu is stiffer, worn batteries are weaker, etc. In principle you are correct, but in practice you'll see hogus that detect a hit too easily, or detect hard hits not at all. (This is especially true of Daedo, less true of KP&P.)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thing is, they did pre-test the hogus and STILL made mistakes about half the time.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
In this photo, the third buttons are on the top-edge of the Judge Box. You work the facing buttons with your thumbs, and the top-edge buttons with your index fingers.

p2rsb_1.jpg

That device looks a lot better than what we use. I can't seem to find a picture of it, so I guess it's not very common. The system actually uses two controllers; one in each hand. Each one is shaped like a pistol grip. There is a button on top that you press down on with your thumb. That is the 2-point button. There is another button on the front that you squeeze with your index finger. That is the 1-point button. As I said before, this setup worked well under the old rules- top button for head, bottom button for body. Now we have to quickly press top then bottom for 3 points, top twice for 4 points. The 3 point is tricky, because if one judge does top-bottom, another does bottom-top, and the third judge misses the point, there is no score. I really don't know what we're going to do for a 5-point shot.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That device looks a lot better than what we use. I can't seem to find a picture of it, so I guess it's not very common. The system actually uses two controllers; one in each hand. Each one is shaped like a pistol grip. .

I can't find a photo of that either. I've used it before. I actually like it. I think that system is called Ringmaster? It's only used in smaller tournaments generally, because it's not a WT-approved system, as I recall. It's older too. I'm not sure if it's still being sold.

I like the two-pistol-grips because I can drop my hands low on either side of my body, in a comfortable position. I tend to lean left and right a lot in my chair when I judge, and I find a two-handed controller to be less comfortable when I lean.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find a photo of that either. I've used it before. I actually like it. I think that system is called Ringmaster? It's only used in smaller tournaments generally, because it's not a WT-approved system, as I recall. It's older too. I'm not sure if it's still being sold.

I like the two-pistol-grips because I can drop my hands low on either side of my body, in a comfortable position. I tend to lean left and right a lot in my chair when I judge, and I find a two-handed controller to be less comfortable when I lean.
It appears to not be available: Ring Master electronic scoring system

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That device looks a lot better than what we use. I can't seem to find a picture of it, so I guess it's not very common. The system actually uses two controllers; one in each hand. Each one is shaped like a pistol grip. There is a button on top that you press down on with your thumb. That is the 2-point button. There is another button on the front that you squeeze with your index finger. That is the 1-point button. As I said before, this setup worked well under the old rules- top button for head, bottom button for body. Now we have to quickly press top then bottom for 3 points, top twice for 4 points. The 3 point is tricky, because if one judge does top-bottom, another does bottom-top, and the third judge misses the point, there is no score. I really don't know what we're going to do for a 5-point shot.
BS-dr-taekwondo-p14-Lam.jpg

This one?

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The ones I've used have two buttons in the thumb area, and one at the trigger finger. But otherwise they look like that.