New to MT

Joaquim

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just got real pissed, and typically when I do I tend to do enough situps/pushups for a few days.

This time I wanted to learn how to fight. No weapons. Did a good search on pressure points and I ended up here.

Anyone know places in Toronto area that'll get me in shape? or Teach me some hurtful points in the body (ie: where I should aim) or even a "fight club" aha lol

edit: my bad, MT=marital talk haha

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Joaquim, welcome to MT :). You can get in shape and learn those things and more at any reputable school, as long as you put in the time and the work.

OP
J

Joaquim

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Joaquim, welcome to MT :). You can get in shape and learn those things and more at any reputable school, as long as you put in the time and the work.

thanks a lot, this site looks identical to Howard Forums.

Any ideas as to which school/style I should take up?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

As far as choosing a school - the instructor is far more important than the style; if you don't fit with the instructor, the rest won't matter.

Check these links to help you find the right class for yourself:
Resources for Beginners
Choosing a school

Good luck, and let us know how the search for a school goes!

OP
J

Joaquim

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

As far as choosing a school - the instructor is far more important than the style; if you don't fit with the instructor, the rest won't matter.

Check these links to help you find the right class for yourself:
Resources for Beginners
Choosing a school

Good luck, and let us know how the search for a school goes!

thanks so much

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Best bet is to look around a bit and see which styles interest you, then start asking questions and looking around your town! Good luck!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. If wanting to hurt people is top of the list then I'd suggest the local hardware store. A 2x4 can do wonders for you, is cheaper than MA training and doesn't take any effort. If, however, you're looking to truly follow the path of a martial art for self defense then Kacey's post is a great place to start. For most folks, self defense is why they begin training in the martial arts but seldom the reason why they continue to train for years. Best of luck in your endeavor.

OP
J

Joaquim

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Best bet is to look around a bit and see which styles interest you, then start asking questions and looking around your town! Good luck!

Welcome aboard. If wanting to hurt people is top of the list then I'd suggest the local hardware store. A 2x4 can do wonders for you, is cheaper than MA training and doesn't take any effort. If, however, you're looking to truly follow the path of a martial art for self defense then Kacey's post is a great place to start. For most folks, self defense is why they begin training in the martial arts but seldom the reason why they continue to train for years. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Welcome! Consider boxing.

im no pro or anything, but I think boxing is punch for punch basically?

im looking more for how to fight. Or pressure points on the body. (im not a fighter by any means) Just incase i get into a fight for some reason, I know roughly what to do.

Also in reading a bit on this forum, I noticed that even if you know martial arts in a fight you tend to resort back to straight punching/kicking.

Im pretty sure if I knew what to do, my brain would be like "do this" "aim here" "he's weaker here" "If i dodge this, and hit here, ill be good" etc.. Pressure points is what im interested in really.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk and on to your question since I do not live in your area here is the road I would take simply right down four or five schools and then go to each one talk to the head instructor explain what you are looking for and ask if you can try a class and make a rational decission. Hope that helps in your endevour.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT.. A Google search will also assist you in locating a school...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check out this thread on pressure points. The idea of basing your entire SD training on one aspect of defense is dangerous. The one finger, vulcan neck pinch, mystical super duper pressure point concept is a myth that will get you killed if you believe it. As others have suggested here, go to every school that's within your feasible driving range and interview the instructor, watch a class and go with the one that feels right. When I left my last school I interviewed about 12 different schools before settling on my current school. Good luck.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. We have good folks here who can help answer your questions.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Hey everyone. Just got real pissed, and typically when I do I tend to do enough situps/pushups for a few days.

This time I wanted to learn how to fight. No weapons. Did a good search on pressure points and I ended up here.

Anyone know places in Toronto area that'll get me in shape? or Teach me some hurtful points in the body (ie: where I should aim) or even a "fight club" aha lol

edit: my bad, MT=marital talk haha

Hi, Joaquim, welcome to MT.

I'm glad that when you got angry you channelled it in a positive direction with the pushups. Shows us you have some degree of self control. You'll be needing that when you start your training.

Thing to remember with pressure points is not all of them work to the same degree on all people.

There are certain places it hurts to hit, but hitting a certain point on a certain person should not automatically be expected to produce an automatic result under *any* circumstances. Weird stuff, adrenaline.