New CMA addict...

Pezzle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I've recently been more active on MAP and BS, but this seemed like a good forum with some intelligent discussions.

I'm into Tai Chi Chuan (right now yang style) and soon I'll be cross-training in Hung Gar. I live in central New Jersey, and my name's Brittany. I've only been in MA now for 3 months but I love it.

Anyway just thought I'd introduce myself instead of just kind of butting into a conversation.

- Brit

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT - I think you'll really like it here. Plenty of traffic, everyone is very respectful and nice, and there are some incredible intellectual discussions!

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! It's always great to have another female martial artist here!

Zeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hung Gar, huh? I've always been interested by it. Make sure to tell me how you like it. You can PM me anytime.

How's the Tai Chi Chuan treating you? That's always been a big interest of mine as well. One of the first styles I was looking into actually.

And welcome!

OP
P

Pezzle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hung Gar, huh? I've always been interested by it. Make sure to tell me how you like it. You can PM me anytime.

How's the Tai Chi Chuan treating you? That's always been a big interest of mine as well. One of the first styles I was looking into actually.

And welcome!

Well you asked for it.

Well, Tai Chi Chuan has been treating me very well. I've found a particularly nice school that's quite close to me and the art itself is very intriguing. None of the "guessing what the application is" that I hear about from some Tai Chi schools. Right now we are on Yang Style, contemporary 24 step. They use this as an introduction to Tai Chi Chuan, since it incorporates some of the harder movements of the longer forms (Those agonizingly slow heel kicks are killing my hip adductor muscles).

<tanget>
A little bit more about myself is that I am overweight by about 97 lbs, into the obese BMI zone. After I started Tai Chi and cut soda out of my life, I lost 22 lbs. Now I'm adding strength training and a more proper diet to continue that weight loss so I can be more healthy, agile, and flexible. It is because of this that I do not yet wish to join the Hung Gar class. High Weight + High Impact can lead to undetected hairline tibia fractures and I really don't want that.
</tangent>

Anyway to continue..

We practice the forms themselves (sequences I mean) for their benefits in health and conditioning, but we also have a curriculum set up 4 weeks of different focuses, sparring and applications being the 4th week. So yes in essence we practice the martial applications of our Tai Chi, which is pretty sweet. Precisely what I was looking for.

To give you an idea of our curriculum, we have Yang, Sun, and Chen styles with several weapons forms in each (Fan, Jian, and Dao) as well as empty hand, combined family forms (compulsory 42 step), xing yi quan, bagua zhang, 5 Element/8 Pieces of Brocade Qi Gong (taught in tandem to Tai Chi forms from the beginning).

I will most definitely give you a PM when I start into Hung Gar. All in all I feel Tai Chi is worth it if you can find a good, caring Sifu/instructor. I guess it all depends on what you want out of it (beware the "dance tai chi" like you would "cardio kickboxing" i guess).

CrimsonPhoenix said:
It's always great to have another female martial artist here!
Hey awesome I love it. Being a chick rules, except for when boobs get in the way of me putting my head to my knee LOL.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I've recently been more active on MAP and BS, but this seemed like a good forum with some intelligent discussions.

I'm into Tai Chi Chuan (right now yang style) and soon I'll be cross-training in Hung Gar. I live in central New Jersey, and my name's Brittany. I've only been in MA now for 3 months but I love it.

Anyway just thought I'd introduce myself instead of just kind of butting into a conversation.

- Brit
Welcome to the forum.

Latest Discussions