New school, but skeptical about training

T

TrainHARD

Hi, I just joined a new martial arts school that teaches Kali, Jeet Kun Do, and Muay Thai. I want to seriously concentrate on Muay Thai and eventually compete. However, since 3 styles are taught, only 1 hour a night is dedicated to each, and Muay Thai is only taught on 4 nights. So I'm basically getting 4 hours a week of Muay Thai, plus, how much sparring can we possibly do if the class is only an hour? I'm concerned that this is simply not enough training if I want to compete. I don't want to step into the ring with someone who trains at an acctual Muay Thai gym and trains 3 hours a day in preparation for a fight and get my butt whipped. Is 4 hours a week enough? An how much sparring is necessary to prepare for a fight?:confused:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are going to fight you should talk to your Kru, he will most likely want you to come in on off hours to train with other people getting ready to fight..... but if you just joined he will probably want you to wait some time before fighting, or even getting ready for a fight. Don't be discouraged if he wants you to wait, it's for your own safety. Learn the basics really well first. When getting ready for a fight you should spar TONS but that is just my opinion, here in Thailand they concentrate on conditioning but I feel actual fighting practice is more important.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

I dont like the sound of 3 in 1 stuff. If you want to train in mt, go to an mt oriented gym. and tell ur intstructor that u want to compete, otherwise training will be jsut for the workout at basic techniuqes. if u train like me, youll just kick, punch, knee and elbow. but if u train to compete, ull learn that and jumping flying, etc moves.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Trainhard, what is the name of your instructor and are you part of the Ajarn Chai/ Dan Inosanto family tree as well? I am part of one of thier schools and they know their stuff. I wouldn't call it 3 in one though MuayThaiperson because if his school is anything like mine, people can join just for the Muay Thai with the Jeet Kun Do and other stuff as optional. Our school offers all kinds of other training but it still pumps out good fighters for Muay Thai.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
L

Lyfeenz

There are probably a couple other people in your area that think the same way you do , maybe post a note at your gym looking for sparring partners. Get as much out of those 4 hours a week and do some friendly sparring with a partner .

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im at a school that teaches the same cirriculum as yours. It is from Inosanto lineage. Before I started, I told the instructor I wanted to really train in MT. He very politely directed me to another school. A few months later, when it was time to start training, my priorities had changed so I wound up training with him. I really dig it. I guess the moral is to go to the school that best fits your needs and desires. If I was still looking just for MT and to compete, I would be @ the wrong school. I think he was humble enough and honest enough to send me away if I wasnt looking for what he was teaching.