Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms As Water Recedes
clear.gif

Author: Alex Berenson and Timothy Williams Source: NY Times
clear.gif

Title: NEW ORLEANS BEGINS CONFISCATING FIREARMS AS WATER RECEDES

Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to hundreds of security guards hired by businesses and some wealthy individuals to protect property. The guards, employees of private security companies like Blackwater, openly carry M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said that he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.
Options: [Read Full Story]
From Witches Voice

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes sense to me, given all the recently stolen weapons and the crowd-control problem...including such disparate federal and state agencies working together to get control of the city.

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Looks like just another attempt to make it look like "Two Americas" as usual.

Bodyguards and security companies already have their own set protocols and ways of controlling their weapons. I am willing to believe they are not having to rely on government evacuation, either, as they are not residents but people employed doing a job. On the other hand, the forced evacuees are having to be flow-controlled to wherever they are heading and security remains an important issue. They don't want them to be in possession of weapons (we are already hearing about the stories of some evacuees causing havoc in their new lodgings), yet they don't want them to remain unsecured.

It is interesting that they make no mention whatsoever of what is going to happen to the legally registered firearms. If they are legally registered, I am willing to bet that they will be returned when everything is back to normal.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Makes sense to me, given all the recently stolen weapons and the crowd-control problem...including such disparate federal and state agencies working together to get control of the city.
I agree....you need to get control and I don't doubt that anyone who legally has a gun also has the ability to get insurance to cover the confiscated gun and pick up a new one if the police won't give the legally owned one's back.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
if it's MY gun, and legally registered...taking my gun my ***.

regardless of situation, it's my property. i dont remember the 2nd amendment having any appendices regarding situation or location :idunno:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats where "martial law" comes in.

Why are we allways so quick to make such huge disections of ourselves? Why are we so set on seperating each other? Why must we allways find some way to dissasociate those who are different? Anyone who knows me knows that my view of differences is that differences are what make us beautiful....think if everyone was the same...boring.

Security personell are trained and liscsenced, I see no big deal about them retaining their weapons. I can see the issue with the government taking my own property, I dont know how I would feel about that, but I would hope that in a situation where its truly a disaster, I would comply in order to do my part in helping keep the peace. As a whole issue, I think its a bad decision to take away registered weapons, but again, I'm not there and I'm not in on the info and intel loop.

7sm

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whats going on here is at this point most of the people left are hold-outs that dont want to leave (separate issue but IMO im not 100% on that idea, their property, their decision, let them stay). They are taking the weapons of who is left for safety reasons, and because I wouldnt want to let somebody I just forcibly removed from their home to be able to take his weapons with him.....

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i say if they want to stay, let 'em. they've been advised of the risks their decisions may bring them.

as for the taking of weapons of those we've "evicted"...it's wrong. it shows an insecurity to handle things when we advise people to give up their rights. these people haven't broken any laws requiring the gov't to remove their arms.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the evictions are "legal" and the weapons are only being "held for safekeeping" I have no problem with it. As long as they are going to be returned. I wouldnt like to see LEO's doing their duty getting shot. I also wouldnt want to drag someone out of their house then pass his shotgun up to him. Wouldnt want to leave it in an unattended house either....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am curious about the legality of these evictions though. No doubt there is the authority in situations like this. I would like to see it though.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i guess the kicker is "legal" eviction.

certainly we don't want weapons floating around unaccounted for in vacant residencies, and if the authorities feel that someone they've recently evicted might use their weapon out of retribution because of the eviction, i see no problem with confiscation. i guess it comes down to probable cause. but there's not much reason for probable cause for removal against a previous law abiding citizen wishing to remain in his home, protecting his given right to be there.

i'm not real sure i'm comfortable with weapons in "safekeeping" either. is there really logistical accountability in a city that's been completely demolished, it's internal gov't failed, and it's emergency services non-effective?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have an official reciept, you either get the property back or its cash value. Thats how it works in my PD. If we take it were responsible for it. Im not really familiar with the authority to evict either. It would seem unconstitutional unless warrants have been issued.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taken away the weapon is smart for this insense, to many people trying to play Law about is there's. I believe in this stituation the best thing is do what the goverment need you to do to keep peace and try to move forward. it will be along and hard road for those in need and peace will help in the recovery.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm so-so about the evictions too, though I believe that Uncle Sam has the right.

I doubt those guns will get back to their rightful owners. Are they set up to inventory and control all that materiel?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Think I found it...

Executive Order 11004

SEC. 3. Cooperation with Department of Defense. In consonance with national civil defense plans, programs, and operations of the Department of Defense under Executive Order No. 10952, the Administrator shall:
(a) Billeting. Develop plans for a billeting program, including advice and guidance for State and local government agencies in the administration thereof. The Secretary of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare shall incorporate billeting plans in the general welfare guidance program for States.

(b) Temporary housing. Develop plans for the emergency repair and restoration to use of damaged housing, for the construction and management of emergency housing units and the community facilities related thereto, and for the emergency conversion to dwelling use of non-residential structures with public funds through direct Federal action or through financial or credit assistance.

(c) Population movement. Participate in the preparation of plans for determining which areas are to be restored and in the development and coordination of plans for the movement of people on a temporary basis from areas to be abandoned to areas where housing is available or can be made available.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Problem is (aside from the constitutional issue) that there is still no clear chain of command here. The mayor gives one order, the governor a conflicting order, and the military wisely stays out of it. Except of course the LA guard, which the governor won't permit to be federalized.... Shall we complicate things? At least one confiscation was apparently performed by California officers...who have no legal authority to do anything in Louisiana as things currently stand. Time for one person to be in charge of the whole show, and time to stop worrying about the folks who have food, water, and guns who intend to stay and protect what is theirs...they will be the ones who are critical to getting the city back in business!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And thats why Im not too upset about the FEMA head being replaced. Getting these issues in order IS what FEMA is for IMO.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a mess. It points out serious problems with how the National Guard's status is currently structured, or at least how they're being used.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's a mess. It points out serious problems with how the National Guard's status is currently structured, or at least how they're being used.
With all the units going overseas, how many people and equiptment is really available to help here at home?

Latest Discussions