Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New member here. I was recommended over from another forum by a member. I started my martial arts training about 6-7 years ago. I'm starting to lose track really :) I have a 1st dan in Hapkido and TKD (unaffiliated so not recognized by any sanctioning bodies though) and have competed in some small BJJ tournaments as a white belt. Here is a breakdown of my training history in order.

Taichi (Cheng Manching short form Yang style)
American kickboxing and boxing
Boxing
Muay Thai
Taekwondo and Hapkido
No-gi submission wrestling and no-gi BJJ

Currently I'm training witha non-profit club where we do submission wrestling and kickboxing, and working with my Sabumnim in HKD and TKD whenever he and I have time free from our day to day work (we remain close friends and get together a few times a month).

Besides having practiced the arts above I am also a big fan of Sumo and am trying to learn more about it. :)

Thanks for having me. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Raymond, welcome to martialtalk, nice to meet you

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Enjoy...

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to martial talk. We hope you enjoy the site.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Raymond. Sounds like you're having some fun training!

OP
R

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks folks. The reason for the weird history is that until just a few years ago, I could never afford to pay for training.

I took the Tai Chi course in college for credit, and want to go back to it one day. But then after that a former PKA champion and a retired pro boxer had rented space at the gym I lift weights and and converted a space to a kickboxing and boxing club and did another guy with them taught some submission fighting for MMA. I trained with them in return for cleaning the mats and bags. Eventually the kickboxing instructor retired and the boxing instructor moved gyms.

I had a break for about a year or so, and then a Muay Thai instructor who has cornered pro fighters in the UFC moved in to the space. The gym owner recommended me to him and we had the same arrangement. He was a police officer so eventually he had to stop as well due to work schedule. At the same time he moved in, a TKD and HKD 3rd dan started a club and they basically alternated days of who had classes. I trained with him and eventually ended up teaching his youth class for a year at a rec center. It just wasn't working out at the rec center, so after he ran that class for about 4 years (with me doing one of the years) we called it a day there.

He and I still get together like mentioned above, but to keep active in training I found a group of no-gi submission guys and have been training with them for about a year and a half. They also box and kickbox but its geared towards MMA striking. So training with the TKD and HKD sabumnim and the MMA guys gives me the best of both worlds. :)