New Kung Fu Comedy on NBC?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=12555

Mr. & Mrs. Smith director Doug Liman is teaming with writer Dave Caplan for a kung fu comedy set up at NBC, reports Variety.

The untitled half-hour show revolves around a pair of brothers who find themselves taking care of their mom and her restaurant. In order to afford her dream retirement home, they're forced to become bounty hunters -- and they decide to use the martial art of kung fu rather than firearms to get the job done.

-----------------------

This from the writer for The George Lopez Show...could be funny!

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a shame that martial arts programs can't stay on the air. I miss Martial Law and the very short lived Black Sash. It was a little Dawson's Creekish but I liked that the show was based in the dojo.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
fnorfurfoot said:
It's a shame that martial arts programs can't stay on the air. I miss Martial Law and the very short lived Black Sash. It was a little Dawson's Creekish but I liked that the show was based in the dojo.

I dont think i watched one episode of Martial Law.
Watch the movie SPL (Sha Po Lang) has Sammo Hung vs Donnie Yen

Black Sash which I saw and REGRET watching couldnt have went off the air any faster. Terrible. I like Russell Wong better in the tv show Vanishing Son. Wong is a great MA and sorry to not see him in more movies.

Guess were stuck with watching Texas Ranger With A Walker since that is the only show in syndication.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason when I hear of MA tv shows I think of Chuck Norris and Ernie Reyes Jr. in Side kicks.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll give the show a chance. I've liked almost everything MA-related I've seen on TV. I go back as far as the Green Hornet (barely). I watched Kung-Fu all through the 70's and some Walker, Black Sash and Martial Law, too. Lol...even a little Buffy now and then :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I'll give the show a chance. I've liked almost everything MA-related I've seen on TV. I go back as far as the Green Hornet (barely). I watched Kung-Fu all through the 70's and some Walker, Black Sash and Martial Law, too. Lol...even a little Buffy now and then :)

Too bad we can't take classes in "slayer" hehe...

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps this is being too cynical on my part, but it seems as if a show is any good, it'll be cancelled soon.
At least that's been my experience. TV shoots for the lowest denominator.
JMHO

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll give the show a chance. I've liked almost everything MA-related I've seen on TV. I go back as far as the Green Hornet (barely).
Whaddya mean "barely"??? I remember rushing home from school to catch the show!

Attachments

• $Green Hornet 16 5-30-5.jpg
    $Green Hornet 16 5-30-5.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 162

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
For some reason when I hear of MA tv shows I think of Chuck Norris and Ernie Reyes Jr. in Side kicks.

It was Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers) who stared with Ernie Reyes Jr. in the Side Kicks TV show. It was also known as The Last of the Elecrtic Knights.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Intersting, as if Kung fu hustle was not enough :)

I LOVED the Kung Fu Hustle! A strange movie, but has some GREAT fight sequences in it, IMO.

I felt that Kung Pao made fun of the kung fu movie genre. But with the Kung Fu Hustle, I felt like the writer-director (and star of the film) shared a love of the genre was laughing WITH the genre's fans.

As for the topic of this thread: if it has great fight sequences, count me in! :) I'll definately give it a chance, comedy or not.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers) who stared with Ernie Reyes Jr. in the Side Kicks TV show. It was also known as The Last of the Elecrtic Knights.
Yep. The confusion probably comes from the fact that Chuck Norris made a movie called Sidekicks (unrelated to the TV show).

Latest Discussions