New instructors?

P

purplekenposkunk

I have real problem with the instruction at my school Here is the situation:

Mr. X - owns the school, and is almost always there. He teaches almost all of the classes.
Mr. Y - My favorite and most effective teacher.
Mr. Z - I think he only teaches enough to be compensated. He doesn't seem to care at all

So, Mr. X is a good teacher, but I think that he is burned-out or is getting that way. He teaches almost all of the classes, so I can understand how he would get that way. He seems to follow the same routine every class, to the point that it is predictable what will come next.(in basics, the same number of foreknuckle punches, then the same number of rakes, etc.

I really like Mr. Y - His classes are challenging, yet interesting. He tends to mix things up(purposely;)), which keeps you on your toes, ready to perform a technique quickly and unpredictedly. Also, when he teaches me techniques, he shows how they are applied(what you are actually doing), so that it is easier to understand/remember. Stuff really sticks in my head so that I can practice it at home. He seems to really enjoy what he is doing and cares about the students learning.Unfortunately, he only teaches 2 classes per week, and only one I can attend. So, that is essentially 1 hour per week.

Mr.Z is kind of a non-entity. He just seems to be going through the motions, not really caring if the students learn anything. It is as if he is only there because he must be.

So, I just don't know how to tell Mr. X that he needs to get more/different instructors when it is essentially him that is the instructor. I'm sure that he knows this, but it is hard to get new people. I am guessing that he pays them in free lessons(Mr. Y and Mr. Z both have their children enrolled), so I think it is all but impossible to "hire" anyone else. So, I am just worried that Mr. X will be pissed if I impart that his is uninteresting/not-as-useful instruction.

So, what would you suggest? Should I just suck it up and make the best of the situation?

OP
L

liangzhicheng

Not having ever studied Kenpo or any another hard martial art, I don't have a good idea of how hard schools are run. I'm going to try to throw my 2 cents in, however.

How you should act depends on Mr. X's personality. If he's burned out like you say, he might not care enough to want to change. Assuming that he isn't overly egotistical, but not particularly open either, this would be my approach:

Talk with him outside class. Perhaps start out with how you really like to train at his school, give him some compliments. Maybe even compliment Mr. Y as well. Then bring up Mr. Z, gently. "I enjoy the classes you and Mr. Y teach, however I feel that Mr. Z does not care about the material." Discuss the bad points of Mr. Z's teaching, and if you want to, add in repetitiveness. Mr. X may get clued into his own repetitiveness, applauding Mr. Y's variety may help in this. I advise against directly pointing this out to Mr. X unless he is a very open person. At this point, if you know of anyone who would be qualified to teach and might do so, you could bring them up. "I know a person A who has T years in Kenpo, and really loves it. Maybe you could test him out in a few classes and see how the students like him." At this point, or maybe earlier, Mr. X may react positively or negatively. Hopefully, he will react positively. If he says that he cannot hire anyone else, request him talk to Mr. Z about his teaching. If Mr. X doesn't like your bringing this up in the first place, then...well, let's hope this doesn't happen.

Points to think about:
* Realize that Mr. X may reveal to Mr. Z that you complained about him.
* There is strength in numbers. If there are other students who also feel the same way about this, you may want to bring them in on this. Be careful, however, that only you speak, or make sure that those with less tact keep their mouths shut.
*Despite Mr. Z being a bad teacher, you can still get good training in his class.

Good luck

OP
K

Kenpomachine

If Mr X is really burnt, having interested students may light him again. Ask questions and try to get him more involved in the class.

If this doesn't work, I would try to talk to Mr X and tell him that you're beginning to feel bored at his classes, as they are always more of the same. Don't talk about the other teachers, and less so about hiring new instructors.

If this still doesn't work, well, consider going only to Mr Y class and look for another school.

Either ways, good luck

OP
P

purplekenposkunk

Those are both very good ideas. I am not sure exactly how I will handle this, but you both have given me good food for thought.

Elijah J.

White Belt
Reaction score
You should really have a talk with Mr. X about Mr. Y. Just tell him about the frustrations that you are having with Mr. Y. Being up front and honest has always been beneficial to me when I have been in frustrating situations. Good luck.

OP
D

Disco

Have you checked if Mr. Y teaches anywhere else besides where you currently train?

If he dosen't, ask him if he has thought about teaching more classes than what he does now.

If both these options prove to be negitive, confide in him and ask him if he would know of another school which would suit you better. Your training is to benefit you. Talking may/should open different options. At least your scope of information will be increased.
:asian:

OP
T

twinkletoes

wow, we had almost that exact problem at our school recently. The only difference is that we have LOTS of instructors, and it was coming down to:

the head instructor was not readily available to all groups

the regular instructors during the week were the boring ones--sorta phoning it in.

the once a week instructors were trying to keep it lively.

Well, since I'm the young guy, I'm the last one. I try to keep it from getting boring, so the students came to me. They wanted to know what the protocol was for this. I guess they tried to take it directly to the boring instructors, but had some difficulty. So I took it to the head instructor, who shared it around, and all is well. No bruised egos, better classes all around, and everyone is happy. I have to say I'm impressed with how everyone handled it, from the students all the way to the top. I give tons of credit to these instructors who heard some feedback, thought about it, and made their classes better.

Speak up--what do you have to lose?

~TT

OP
P

purplekenposkunk

Man, it is really wierd how things seem to work themselves out. I just found out yesterday that Mr. X is leaving, moving on to better things.

So, the new Mr. X(Mr. Xy), (aren't you getting sick of these letter-names?;)) Is a Kenpoist who is taking over the reigns of the dojo. I don't know him very well at all, but he seems like a very nice person. From only one class with him, I can tell that the instruction will be different, and hopefully better.

I really like Mr. X and I will miss him a lot. I hope that he has made a good decision to leave the school and that he continues finding what makes him happy:asian:

OP
K

KEMPO DAVE

X,Y,Z,Mr.X, Ms. XY,....I don't know how I am going to face my alphabet soup at noon.........

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by liangzhicheng

"Not having ever studied Kenpo or any another hard martial art, I don't have a good idea of how hard schools are run."

Just one thing... Kenpo isn't really a hard style... It's kind of a happy medium between hard style and soft style martial systems.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Gee.

I'm the only instructor our school has.

I have been in schools where this kind of thing happens though, and it is never an easy situation.

I sometimes run myself ragged trying to keep 'in touch' with all my students, trying to make sure they are getting what they want and need from their training.

If I had a group of instructors under me it'd take the pressure off, but I like to think I'd still be in touch with the students, but who knows.

I do my best, but do I do a good job? I wish I knew.

Les

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill Lear
Just one thing... Kenpo isn't really a hard style... It's kind of a happy medium between hard style and soft style martial systems.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear

Hey Billy...
why do you feel this way?
Just wondering.
You seldom (in my limited exposure to you here in cyberland) make such statements w/out having thought about it.
So...
why?
I see Kenpo as Hard through and through...
care to elaborate?

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $train%20hard2.gif
    $train%20hard2.gif
    23 KB · Views: 205

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by purplekenposkunk
I have real problem with the instruction at my school

So, I just don't know how to tell Mr. X that he needs to get more/different instructors

So, what would you suggest? Should I just suck it up and make the best of the situation?

I don't know how things go at your school... but this is what I'd tell a friend...
1. If you have a real problem with the instruction at your school... don't let it stay "your" school anymore.... leave.

2. You don't have to tell your instructor anything... it's not your place. IF you leave, you may feel free to respectfully let him know why.

Just my thoughts.
Your Brother
John

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Brother John
Hey Billy...

I agree with Billy on this. Kenpo is not just a hard style. It's not based purely on strenght or brute force, as say, TKD or karate.

OP
T

twinkletoes

My instructor always told me that there was Hard, Soft, and Fluid. Fluid is used for styles that mix hard and soft, interweaving both kind of movement, like Kenpo.

~TT

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
Hey Billy...
Just wondering.
You seldom (in my limited exposure to you here in cyberland) make such statements w/out having thought about it.
So...
why?
I see Kenpo as Hard through and through...
care to elaborate?

Your Brother
John

There are both hard/linear movement's and soft/circular movements contained in Kenpo. Hence my deduction. Some may not agree, and that's okay... Just don't be hatin'.

Hey... I started a new thread on this to keep this thread on topic for the mods. :D
Click here to get there.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is really the Head Instructors or Owners Job to keep control of the Instructor Staff. Many studios do not "hire" outside their own studios and most prefer to raise or develop their own instructors so they know what the owner/head instructor wants.

At any rate a problem could arise with even an "in house" instructor. This is a problem that should be brought to the attention of the Owner because he/she are the only ones that really have the power to adjust this problem.

Latest Discussions