Attended a class with Prof. Sepulveda

K

KenpoDusty

First time in my limited Kenpo experience that I had an opportunity to train with a 9th degree black belt. I was expecting to learn new material or maybe some great insight into GM Parker or something martial artsy like that. Instead, we re-learned some previous techniques and was shown how a quarter twist of the foot or dropping a shoulder just a bit really affects your motion, balance, torque, etc. The most interesting thing I took from the class was in his opening speech he stated he was going to teach "a way" to do Kenpo, not "the way".
Also in attendance was Mr. Graves from washington (5th degree), Mr.Rob Hazelwood (3rd Degree) Mr. Donatiello (3rd Degree) Mr. Billings (7th degree) and one other that Im afraid I didnt get to meet. Was fun to see so many Kenpoists in one place! Good times in Texas!!

Pointless insight into my weekend,
Dusty

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had a similar experience, although limited as it is. I attended a seminar put on by a tenth degree and spent a great deal of time on the Neutral Bow. Half the class consisted of black and brown belts, I thought we had it down by now but then again maybe I just missed the secrets the Grandmaster was trying to teach us.

I hope the next one I attend works on the Forward Bow to complete the book ends.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoDusty said:
First time in my limited Kenpo experience that I had an opportunity to train with a 9th degree black belt. I was expecting to learn new material or maybe some great insight into GM Parker or something martial artsy like that. Instead, we re-learned some previous techniques and was shown how a quarter twist of the foot or dropping a shoulder just a bit really affects your motion, balance, torque, etc. The most interesting thing I took from the class was in his opening speech he stated he was going to teach "a way" to do Kenpo, not "the way".
Also in attendance was Mr. Graves from washington (5th degree), Mr.Rob Hazelwood (3rd Degree) Mr. Donatiello (3rd Degree) Mr. Billings (7th degree) and one other that Im afraid I didnt get to meet. Was fun to see so many Kenpoists in one place! Good times in Texas!!

Pointless insight into my weekend,
Dusty
Glad you enjoyed it. It was a great seminar indeed, the Black Belt class rocked! But I am not a 7th Degree - you bumped me up 2 ranks higher than I am. 5th Black and Tommy Burks, my teacher was the 6th Degree out there training. Remember, inside-outside, and figure 8 motion.

-Michael